166 mmx processor

mark-238636 11:31 24 Apr 03

can you help with any upgrades rather than a new computer i have just installed a 20gb hard drive a new sound card and have 128 mb of memory is there anything else i could do

Belatucadrus 11:46 24 Apr 03

The most obvious next step is an upgrade to the graphics card, your mother board may not have an AGP slot so you may need a PCI card like click here check what expansion slots are available.

Paranoid Android 13:37 24 Apr 03

Most motherboards of this type will go to 233 Mhz CPU. Try the computer fairs.

Geforce2MX graphics cards are available for PCI bus, this would give your system a lift for around £ 35.

The next step would be a new motherboard / CPU / RAM bundle, but you would probably need to upgrade the power supply and chassis to match.

Marvin.

Belatucadrus 20:13 24 Apr 03

mark 22 ref your e-mail I can't see any compatability problems with the linked PCI card and your 166 Mhz chip, a year or so ago I upgraded my Cyrix 200 system with a 32MB Voodoo card. I didn't have any problems with it. What graphics card have you got at the moment, is it a card or onboard chip set ?

Belatucadrus 21:30 24 Apr 03

If your graphics system is onboard it should work out even better, as onboard systems use system ram, so the new card will also work out as a handy 32MB memory boost. As I said check available expansion slots, if you have space there shouldn't be any problems. I have to admit though that my update was a replacement card, you might want to get some input from somebody with hands on experience of upgrading onboard systems.

mark-238636 14:57 25 Apr 03

i only have four pci slots that have a network card, sound card, monitor card and modem card installed can you tell me the best way to go about it

Belatucadrus 15:55 25 Apr 03

The PCI card your monitor is plugged into is the graphics card, it should be a case of simply extracting the existing card, putting the new one in its' place and then loading the drivers. It's probably an idea to run a system check like Belarc click here or Aida click here to see what card you've got installed at the moment, just to ensure that the Novatech card is sufficient of an upgrade to make it worth the effort.
Unfortunately the presence of a card on the system cancels out the RAM increase I mentioned last post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…