160gb hdd showing as 31.4gb?

tartanterror 21:55 20 Jan 04

just installed a 160gb samsung sp1614n hdd
however when i open up partition magic v8 to paretition and format the drive it is only showing as 31.4gig.
the drive is set as slave and my IBM 40 gig as master.
looked on the samsung site but cant find any help
checked the bios and was set to "auto" on the primary slave.
tried changing to "user defined" but still saying it's a 31.4gig.
the bios picks the correct hdd up as a samsung sp1614n.

running xp pro sp1
via kt266a ddr motherboard
asus a7v-266-e

any advise greatly appreciated folks

ta

DieSse 22:21 20 Jan 04

click here

click here=

click here=

Reading the above may help. It's likely that your system does not have 48-bit addressing capability - but there may be other factors in view of what you are actually seeing.

holly polly 22:24 20 Jan 04

looking at the man ual online you have the chip pin setting wrong so it is only reading as a 32 gig drive ,the jumper on the hdd that goes up at right angles to th other one place on the same rail inline with the other one ie across the hdd and everything should be sorted -hol pol...

holly polly 22:26 20 Jan 04

or take a look yourself -hol pol...
click here

tartanterror 22:50 20 Jan 04

fao holly polly :-)
god i hate it when i miss the obvious i must have looked at that drawing 10 times i just removed the jumper its now reading free space 148gb and total size 149gb
is that correct for a 160gig my maths isn't to hot but i do know that it's always less ?

cheers

holly polly 23:03 20 Jan 04

would seem about right due to kbs-gbs or summat and how they are worked out ,use to know how but cant remember ,tired eyes tartan terror ,just jumped out at me ,a 138gig increase not bad at all mate ,i know what you mean wheres the other 11 gig gone ,but as said before it how we converet the kbs into gbs or summat ,anyhow glad to been of help ,though filling the new hdd is going to take some doing -goodnight all -hol pol...

DieSse 23:17 20 Jan 04

Forgot the golden rule there - always suspect the obvious first ;-))

tartanterror 21:41 21 Jan 04

lol i'll keep it in mind......till next time

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…