160Gb Hard Drive

conrail 21:01 19 Feb 04

running xp pro pentium 4 1.8GHz processor 512 MB RAM, just purchased a 160 GB HD to use for video editing, drive has formatted to 128GB but when connected as slave behind my CDRW drive, the CDRW isn't recognised, when HD unclipped, CDRW is fine, anybody any ideas, if I make the new HD master will it affect my DVD drive which is on the same line?

explicitlyrics100 21:08 19 Feb 04

the hard drive may have a cap limit - check the jumper settings to see if there is an option like that. Otherwise it could be an old bios and so is having problems recognising the drive being so big. Open the case and look on the motherboard for the name of the board and its version then type it in google to find an updated bios.

dfghjkl 21:13 19 Feb 04

i have hard drive as master on primary cable,second hard drive as slave on primary cable.then cdrw as master on secondary cable,and dvd as slave on secondary.cdrw and dvd can be changed as to your choice.master hard drive must be on end of primary cable,slave on same cable is ideal for slave hard drive.

explicitlyrics100 21:20 19 Feb 04

lol i just reread that and it sounds like you are trying to put 3 drives on one ide cable.... sounds stupid but you know this is not possible....

conrail 21:33 19 Feb 04

sorry about mix up explicitlyrics100, there is the master HD + DVD drive on 1 cable + CDRW + Slave HD on another, also cannot see make of mb system just over 1 year old
will give your suggestion a try dfghjkl, I was under the impression [wrongly apparently] that the 2 drived had to be on separate cables

explicitlyrics100 21:36 19 Feb 04

ohh no - dfghjkl was right - optical drives should always be on the same ide if possible with hard drives on a different one. Unless there is a real reason for them not to be - like doing a lot of cd/dvd burning on-the-fly (without caching the data to hard drive first.

y_not 06:10 20 Feb 04

To find the details of the mainboard (and other components) click here

Its free - just install and run it - it will robably give you the link to the mainboard website.

Megatyte 06:37 20 Feb 04

Don't use cable select. Jumper as master and slave. It makes no difference which is master and which is slave as long as the master is on the end of the cable.

AH

Megatyte 06:39 20 Feb 04

(Apart from your boot drive, which should be on Primary master).

AH

conrail 17:41 21 Feb 04

my mb is an Award Software International, Inc. MS-6534 Version 6.00PG, have been reading forums on BIOS updates and there seems to be a few problems arising from people doing this so any help much appreciated, got the info I needed y_not from site you pointed me to, but there are 3 options:
1] Award Flash BIOS Procedure
2] AMI Flash BIOS Procedure
3] Flashing the BIOS for Users using NON FAT file system
I use NTFS system so I asume it is option 3. do I just download and run/save?

y_not 07:55 22 Feb 04

Sorry I'm not sure - this posting will bump your thread back to the top so, hopefully someone else might be able to answer your question.

Good luck

Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…