160 GB Slave Hard drive XP Home

PATRIOT 09:19 18 Jul 04

I have an E Machine 270 PC XP home that came with 40GB Samsung HDD. I want to install a second SLAVE Samsung 160 GB HDD (model SP-1604N) and then partition the slave with 2x80GB partitions and NTFS format it.
The instruction manual from their web site,(click here) indicates that 2 jumpers should be used across pins BD and FH, but the HDD only came with one jumper. Their helpline operator said that I should connect the single jumper across pins DC. This I have done.
The bios is set to AUTO and detects the slave HDD, Windows DEVICE MANAGER also detects the slave HDD, but XP's DISC MANAGEMENT TOOL only sees the Slave HDD as a 33.74GB drive.
What must I do to get WINDOWS XP HOME to recognise the full 160GB so that I can partion it into 2 80GB drives with NTFS formating?
If any one could point me in the right direction...

Diodorus Siculus 09:28 18 Jul 04

What does the BIOS recognise it as? You may have to manually tell the BIOS the size of the disk.

PATRIOT 10:15 18 Jul 04

I have a Phoenix bios, the Main Settings tab idicates both Master and Slave hard drive models.
It shows the Primary slave details as.. Multi sectors - 16 ... Type - Auto ... LBA - enabled
What I can't see is any reference to the capacity of the drive.
Should I be looking in another part of the Bios?

Mikè 10:33 18 Jul 04

Do you have SP1 installed?

Mikè 10:44 18 Jul 04

Anly help? click here

PATRIOT 12:45 18 Jul 04

Hi, yes SP1 is installed.

selfbuild 12:56 18 Jul 04

You need a second jumper and short pins BD and HF....

The reason why you are not able to see the full size of the drive is because with only one jumper you are effectively setting the 32Gb limit.

PATRIOT 13:34 18 Jul 04

Hi, I will try this when I can scrounge another Jumper - perhaps tonight?

PATRIOT 13:35 18 Jul 04

Hi, I will try this when I can scrounge another Jumper - perhaps tonight?

PATRIOT 19:30 18 Jul 04

Thanks Selfbuild, I got another jumper out of an old 5.25" floppy drive. It did the trick. I have 3 partitions installed and formatted. Thanks to all, for your input!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…