160 GB hhd or 2x80gb?

WayneKerr 14:14 07 Feb 03

I have a 20gb fujitsu hdd but need more storage. Should I get a single 160gb or two 80gb hdds? I do a mixture of office work and photoshopping and would like to get into film editing via my camcorder.

What might be the advantages of one big one or two littler ones?

And what should I look out for?

Who makes good hdds?

BRYNIT 14:24 07 Feb 03

you could always get a 160gb and partition it to two 80 gb. leaving room for another drive at a latter date.

MartinT-B 14:30 07 Feb 03

I completely disagree with Brynit.

As someone who's HDD drive died for no apparent reason I suggest you get two.

Personally, I'd partition the first and leave the 2nd for back-ups and video/film editing.

I would suggest that you still back up to CD-R or DVD recordable media if you have that facility.

MartinT-B 14:34 07 Feb 03

Western Digital Caviar make the best of the current HDDs on the market click here

With 7200 spindle speed and an 8mb cache their seek time is comparable to SCSI.

80GB for £83.43 incl.
120GB for £122.32 incl
180GB for £211.97 incl
200GB!!! for £223.25incl

powerless 14:34 07 Feb 03

Well you could get two hard drives and just use the one hard drive for the video files. Use the other hard drive for windows. Photographs etc...

You could partition one hard drive so you could use one partition for back up...

Partition C - Windows, photos...

Partition D - Backup of Partition C

Then the other hard drive could be used for all the video files - Drive E

One big hard drive again you could partiton it C, D and E same as above but just on the one hard drive. If you backup to CD-R or even DVD-R then the backup partition would not be needed giving you more space on the drive.

Go for a hard drive with an RPM of 7200.

Also a buffer size of 8MB would be useful. If the video files are not that big then a 2MB would be ok.

HDD Maunfactures...(there all good)

click here click here
click here

Buy from...

click here
click here
click here

MartinT-B 14:36 07 Feb 03

Western Digital Caviar make the best of the current HDDs on the market click here

With 7200 spindle speed and an 8mb cache their seek time is comparable to SCSI.

80GB for £83.43 incl.
120GB for £122.32 incl
180GB for £211.97 incl
200GB!!! for £223.25incl

€dstow 14:50 07 Feb 03

No matter what brand of drive you go for, I agree with Martin T-B in getting two smaller drives. My machines have 3 or 4 40gig drives each with one being used for system back up, the others for work and incremental backups.

The disadvantage with one large drive, no matter how you partition it, is that if it dies, it's the whole lot gone - possibly all your years of work as well.

Having said that, I'm just off now to set up the weekly full system backups. Back in a while!

€d

WayneKerr 19:34 07 Feb 03

Thanks for those suggestions. It think that maybe I will get two and use the secondary as a receptacle for the images of the first as well as for a scratch disk for photoshop and maybe the pagefile for win2k.

One last thing, should I get a removable hdd caddy for extra safety? Are they difficult to use via ide connections?

WayneKerr 19:34 07 Feb 03

Thanks for those suggestions. It think that maybe I will get two and use the secondary as a receptacle for the images of the first as well as for a scratch disk for photoshop and maybe the pagefile for win2k.

One last thing, should I get a removable hdd caddy for extra safety? Are they difficult to use via ide connections?

WayneKerr 20:33 07 Feb 03

I am clicking this as resolved and starting a new query. Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…