16 colour display. Best driver already installed?

Dipso 23:18 06 Mar 04

I am trying to help a relative out. There PC is only showing 16 colour display. I have tried going into control panel and making adjustments there but there is no change on reboot.

Device manager shows device is working OK and that the best driver is already installed.

Could the driver be corrupt even though it says everything is OK? It is the default driver from Windows ME.

ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2x

Never again 00:03 07 Mar 04

The chances are that you do not have the corect drivers installed and/ or you either have default vga settings in 16 colours.

Get as much info about your graphics card and visit thier website for the latest drivers. Download them (they sometimes come with the install program as well)and follow the instructions if there is an install program or change them using device manager.

There are lots of solved threads dealing with 16 or 256 colours if you need any more info. sometimes its quicker to reaearch these instead of waiting for someone to reply to a question.

Good luck.

woodchip 00:09 07 Mar 04

This is what to do, right click on desktop click properties\Settings\Advanced\Monitor\change\show all devices and choose a generic monitor Super VGA about 1200x750 something like that then click apply reboot and try the colours

gudgulf 00:24 07 Mar 04

When you say 16 colour display ,do you mean 16 bit display?

The ati rage pro is an old graphics card---the most recent drivers I can find on the web predate the release of windows me so you may well have the best drivers available.
If you right click on the desktop and select properties/settings what options are available in the drop down box fot colour quality?

woodchip 00:27 07 Mar 04

The WinMe or Win98 drivers are good enough

Dipso 00:40 07 Mar 04

I did a search and came across an earlier post of yours suggesting right click on desktop click properties\Settings\Advanced\Monitor\change\show all devices and choose a generic monitor Super VGA about 1200x750. However, I don't have the Monitor option in Advanced? I only get the options General and Colour Management.

gudgulf - "When you say 16 colour display ,do you mean 16 bit display?"

I typed it as I read it.

"If you right click on the desktop and select properties/settings what options are available in the drop down box fot colour quality?"

I get the option to change to 16 bit or 256 colours, but whatever I try, after the PC reboots, it reverts to the 16 colours?

Sorry to be thick, but how do I tell if the graphics are onboard or not?

I have located a driver on Drivers Guide. The current driver is provided by Windoes ME but they haven't given me the disc only the PC. Am I OK to install the driver I have located. If so, do I have to remove graphics from device manager first or do I just choose upgrade driver in device manager and browse for the downloaded file?

gudgulf 01:06 07 Mar 04

Remove the graphics adapter in device manager then reboot your pc ---windows will detect and reinstall the device.It doesnt matter if on board or seperate.This will resolve any issues with corrupt drivers.
To install new drivers unistall the origianals from add/remove programs,then run the setup program for the new ones.

Incidentally when were the drivers you have found produced?

sattman 10:18 07 Mar 04

Are you clicking to apply the change when you set it?.

Paranoid Android 11:52 07 Mar 04

If your graphics drivers are not set up correctly, windows puts your display into a sort of 'safe mode' with only 16 colours. The best way out of this is to re-install the drivers as recommended above.

Normally you can simply upgrade to the new driver, select 'have disk', and browse to the location where the new driver is saved.

However, if windows already thinks (wrongly) that it has the best driver, you may need to do as Gudgulf suggests and remove the old one first.

If the new driver has an .exe setup file, run it to set up the driver, then reboot. If not, you will be asked to install the new driver when you restart the system. You will probably need to restart windows again before the new driver kicks in.

1200 X 750 is not a very common desktop resolution, it is possible your driver dosn't support it properly. I suggest you stick to 800X600 or 1024X768.

Marvin

Paranoid Android 11:55 07 Mar 04

PS the other options in advanced should appear when the driver is installed correctly.

Marvin

woodchip 20:27 07 Mar 04

You should be able to load the driver by unzip and double click EXE file or run setup. other way right click on My Computer Click Properties Device Manager double click Display Adapter click driver and update driver point it to where the driver is

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…