16 bit Windows Subsystem queery

MGZR 23:53 06 Feb 05

Hi.

Can anyone tell me if I can get an old piece of software to run in Windows XP?

Everytime I try to install it I get the following error message: 16 bit Windows Subsystem.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
There is then a choice of Close or Ignore. Clicking Ignore just closes the application.
I have tried setting the computer to run the software in both Win95 and Win98 settings but had no luck.
I believe the software was originally for Win95.
So can I get it to run on XP or not?
Any help appreciated.
Cheers.

JIM 00:24 07 Feb 05

Following fix may work,also look at click here

07/29/2004 XP_Fix.EXE 140 Kb)

click here

Or,Try

A. When you attempt to run a 16-bit application under NT, you might receive the following message:

Application popup: 16 bit Windows Subsystem : An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This may cause the application to function incorrectly. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

This error is typically the result of an invalid entry in the command.com, autoexec.nt, or config.nt files, which NT maintains for compatibility with 16-bit applications. To resolve this error, restore the default versions of these files from the NT installation CD-ROM by performing the following steps:

1. Run cmd.exe (go to Start, Run, and type cmd.exe).

2. Navigate to the %systemroot%\system32 folder by typing

cd %systemroot%\system32

3. Rename the current command.com, autoexec.nt, and config.nt files and append the word "old" to the filenames by typing

rename command.com command.comold

rename autoexec.nt autoexec.ntold

rename config.nt config.ntold

4. Navigate to the i386 structure of your Windows installation path (e.g., d:\i386) by typing

cd /d d:\i386

(the /d lets you change the drive and path at the same time).

5. Expand the original files from the NT installation CD-ROM by typing

expand command.co_

%systemroot%\system32\command.com

expand autoexec.nt_

%systemroot%\system32\autoexec.nt

expand config.nt_ %systemroot%\system32\config.nt

6. Restart your computer, and run your 16-bit application again.

JIM 00:28 07 Feb 05

Be careful and decide if the program is worth the effort.Your error is common for many of late but not all for the same reason.

Create restore point and recap to change back any changes to your system/files.

MGZR 18:12 08 Feb 05

Downloaded the XP file fixer first and tried that. Hey presto it worked and the software is now installed and working.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my queery.
Cheers!!

JIM 20:38 08 Feb 05

Glad your sorted, Thanks for reply.

You were a tad lucky :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…