16 bit windows subsystem error/warning -- HELP

freddy-firecracker 19:16 31 Dec 04

HI

I have tried to install a couple of exe. solitaire games on my PC also an older game for my son which comes from windows 95 era but i keep on getting the above message appearing on the screen.

c:\windows\sysstem 32/autoexe.nt - not suitable for running MS-DOS & Microsoft Windows applications. Says i can close or Ignore it.

Not sure if there is a way around this but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
FF

JoeC 19:38 31 Dec 04
  ACOLYTE 19:47 31 Dec 04

click here
download this and run should fix it.

JIM 20:12 31 Dec 04

not to worry,looks like we agree to some extent:)

your problem may occur if one or more of the following files are missing or damaged.

(I Take it your running XP)

Config.nt or Autoexec.nt or Command.com

Could also happen due to a bug but unlikely in your case if you keep a clean system.

"Search and if found,delete these files. Look/search for !!! WINDUPDATE.EXE--- Not to be confused with WINUPDATE.EXE note the spelling - the added 'd'.

C:\WINNT\system.css

Delete this folder c:\freescan (None of the above, have to be on your system.

More than likely the result of loading the game,which can and may cause you a problem if you have to sort out via the systems registry.

If not already done delete/uninstall the game program and any files and folders etc.Then do a system restore back before the install.

If you go to the following link you will be presented with a small file download (A Poss Fix )straight away,so dont be alarmed and save it to you my documents etc.The file is "quite safe" and i have used it today with a friend of mine with simlar problems.

expand f:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

I say to you as i said to my friend. Create/name a restore point before you use the file.Ignore the files product name ( XP_Fix.EXE by TRF Systems, Inc.) its the result that counts.

Do the above first and dont be tempted to run the fix first,it may not be needed. RUN the fix and see how you get on.

click here

JIM 20:14 31 Dec 04

expand f:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

That should have been the same link as ACOLYTE,so no need to post.sorry

freddy-firecracker 10:56 01 Jan 05

To all

Thanks for the help

Happy New Year to all Forum Users!!

FF

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…