16 bit windows subsystem error

L6KRB 04:42 25 Nov 04

I have had to do a rebuid with xp home due to a virus contamination, everything is fine now however, some programs will not start, they come up with C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT THE SYSTEM FILE IS NOT SUITABLE FOR RUNNING MS-DOS OR MICROSOFT APPLICATIONS CHOOSE CLOSE TO TERMINATE PROGRAM I have a feeling it has something to do with using NTFS when doing the rebuild but not sure how to get round the problem, any advice would be welcome

ventanas 09:07 25 Nov 04

Very popular at the moment. click here

Sethhaniel 09:16 25 Nov 04

this seems to be quite a problem of late -
IS it to do with XP and Microsoft - does it appear in other versions ME or Windows 2000

but it looks like there is a 'hole' somewhere in the operating system leading to what can be quite a problem to fix and it needs addressing by Microsoft or whoever

ventanas 09:29 25 Nov 04

I've been wondering just the same as you. Why so many all of a sudden. Many of the queries predate SP2 so it can't be to do with that. Perhaps we'll find out in time.

MidgetMan 10:22 25 Nov 04

I have recently encountered this as well, as has been said a very popular problem just lately

Sethhaniel 10:49 25 Nov 04

extracting autoexec etc to no avail
the software that was hitting the problem was GSP and their site offered the same solution - to no avail - in the end I copied Autoexec.nt from c:\window\repair to C:\windows\system32 folder and it worked - but from reading this forum not always ;)

L6KRB 11:08 27 Nov 04

Thanks to all, now sorted , renewing the autoexec.nt file did the trick.

cheers KB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…