16 bit Windows Subsystem error

CDH 15:18 08 Nov 04

Every time I try to run a programme CD on my drive I get the following message:
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows Aplications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
There is an alternative 'Ignore' button which gives the same result as the 'Close' button...
I am running Win2k with all the latest patches. Any ideas?

SANTOS7 15:28 08 Nov 04

click here may help,good luck........

Sethhaniel 15:30 08 Nov 04

there is a long winded report on Microsoft site - about extracting Autoexec.nt from Windows CD etc

but you could try copying 'Autoexec.nt' from winnt/repair to system32 folder & reboot

SANTOS7 15:31 08 Nov 04

This is where the link should have sent you hope it helps...

Topic: Can't install (C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The System file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and

Laser 18207753

C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The System file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows Applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the applciation.

I recently got a new omputer, so i have to reinstall all my Half life and all my mods, but i get this error when i try to install out of autorun. Please help!

In Reply To #1
Go to my computer and run a search for the file autoexec.nt, if i recall its in the repair folder, make a copy of it to the system32 folder and one to my docs, just in case you need it again...

I had the same problem.

CDH 16:03 08 Nov 04

Sorry people - did the copying but still get the same message. I hate computers...

SANTOS7 16:11 08 Nov 04

click here more detailed info here,good luck.........

Sethhaniel 16:11 08 Nov 04

SFC /Scannow from Start/Run with windows disk in

Kase 16:21 08 Nov 04

CDH I have this problem via thread "Do I have a problem? and can you help?". Just thought you might like to know MS has not picked you out for special treatment. It seems they like to spread the problems around as many Windows XPHE users as possible!!. I have now added your thread to my postings for future reference. Good Luck

Kase 18:56 08 Nov 04

CDH I have just resolved my 16 bit error have a look at my thread. I hope it will help.

CDH 22:33 08 Nov 04

Thank you to everyone who chipped in with advice. I tried just about everything including pulling my hair out - but nothing worked. Eventually I followed iambeavis's advice on Kase's thread and that, for some unknown reason, worked (all the attempts at expansion on the command prompt didn't work: "No destination specified for ..." was the result of painstaking typing). However using Winzip to expand the files from the original Win 2k CD did the trick. I respectufully salute iambeavis and echo Kase's heartfelt thought: "Why do you (Microsoft) have to make it so bloody difficult."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…