16 bit windows subsystem

wednesday 13 18:48 16 Nov 04

Every time i start up win Xp, i get the message
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows applications.
i can either close it or ignor it for the mean time but it still comes up when i power up unless i hibernate. I cant find any traces of an AUTOEXEC.NT. any where. please help.

uisge dorch 18:53 16 Nov 04

If you have an XP disc (retail, oem or restore). Insert your XP disc into the CD drive and open it.

You will see a folder named i386, open it and resize the window so you are able to see the desktop.

In the folder you will find the file
autoexec.nt_; - right click on it, drag it to your desktop and select copy here.

To use WinZip to expand the file:-

Open WinZip and drag the file into the main window - choose extract - on the screen which comes up make sure "all files" is selected then in the main window above expand C: then expand WINDOWS, click on System32 to highlight the folder and finally choose extract.

The file should now be in System32 folder.

If you do not have a disc, the file can be downloaded from here -
click here

The Great Pretender 12:59 17 Nov 04

Sorry Dorch - i have this problem too and this method hasn't solved it.

uisge dorch 14:28 17 Nov 04

click here;en-us;324767

uisge dorch 14:36 17 Nov 04
  Sethhaniel 15:32 17 Nov 04

or copy autoexec.nt from c:\windows\repair folder to system32 folder ;)

The Great Pretender 20:46 17 Nov 04

Have tried all of the guidance here to date and also on Microsofts support site. Still getting the same message each time I boot up.

Any other known fixes would be appreciated.

Dan the Confused 21:14 17 Nov 04

Try Startup Inspector click here to check what you run at startup and remove anything suspicious.

Run Ewido click here as well.

Then try the previous suggestions again.

wednesday 13 19:08 19 Nov 04

No sign on start up inspector.

The Great Pretender 11:34 01 Dec 04

This is very frustrating - I can't shift this message although it appears to have no effect on the PC's performance.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Dan the Confused 13:14 01 Dec 04

Do you mean even if you create autoexec.nt manually (see uisge dorch's link) it still won't work? Does it keep disappearing?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…