16 bit windows message - what does it mean?

techy gal 11:58 14 Sep 04

I have just purchased a new PC and had to reinstall XP OS because like an idiot I didn't install any anti virus software before I connected to the internet and have been hit with what feels like every virus/worm in existence.
Every time I start up now I get the following message:
16 Bit Windows Sub-system
C:/Windows/System32/auto.exec.nt
The system file is not suitable for running MSDOS and Microsot Windows applications.
Choose close to terminate.

What does this mean? Have I set something up wrong and if so how do I change it? Will this stop me from doing anything?
Any help would be gratefully recieved

Ignore my username - it should be 'techy phobe'!

bremner 12:32 14 Sep 04

In laymans (or laywomans) terms the autoexec.NT file tells your computer how to deal with DOS.

It seems that yours has become corrupted. You can edit this file yourself in Notepad buit for a start I woulkd use System File Checker and this may fix the problem.

Put your XP CD in the drive.

Then do Start>Run and type cmd. then OK

At the Window type sfc /scannow if that doesn't work type scannow /sfc

( i'm on a foreign machine and I can't remember which way round the command is)This will repair any corrupt system file.

techy gal 17:46 14 Sep 04

I have done as you suggested and nothing appeared to be found. I rebooted and got the same messgae

Any other suggestions??

VoG II 17:53 14 Sep 04

click here

However, what is trying to run at startup may not be a desirable program. Run scans with eScan and a² click here

VoG II 17:54 14 Sep 04

Oops!

eScan click here

techy gal 21:43 23 Sep 04

Sorry, can't seem to download that - gets to 95% and system freezes
any other suggestions?
I just don't know what application it is referring to - there is nothing running...

techy gal 11:56 05 Oct 04

I have taken up any suggestions and nothing seems to work. I have now isolated a few main functions that prompt this message to be displayed.
I cannot load the software for my scanner (Canonscan N670U), printer (Epson C86), CD labelling kit (Avery design pro), autoroute express. That's all for the moment.
I seem to remember something (I think) in the intial installation of Windows that asked me to make a choice between something like 16 bit, 32 bit and 64 bit. Does this ring any bells with anyone out there?
My last hope (and this is really desperate) is to format my hard drive and start all over - I have to tell you it would kill me to do this - pleeeease help!!!!
cheers

techy gal 18:30 06 Oct 04

I have finally resolved this myself. There was no autoexec.nt file in the system32 directory so of course it didn't work.
Trial and error and a bit of patience gets you there in the end....

Sethhaniel 12:53 18 Oct 04

(Autoexec.nt see if it is missing from system32 folder - if so copy from repair folder and its fixed ;) - )
If it isn't there to start with it looks like sfc /scannow will not find and replace it
- ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…