Is a 15m Cat5 RJ11 Cable asking too much?

scratchy7 02:01 19 Aug 03

I am currently using a "normal" 15m RJ11 cable to access the internet from my house. Would it be a stupid idea to upgrade the cable to a Cat5 (or higher) so i can milk more bandwidth? The best i can muster is 26k whilst using my intel modem. I am hoping that my line will pass the broadband test and and thinking that this cable might be the weakest link in my comms setup.

Does anyone have any other ideas in order to speed my connection up?

I have moved my PC closer to the wall and achieved 48k bandwidth, so i'm guessing there may be a cable length limitation.

Cheers

Tim

Chegs ® 02:31 19 Aug 03

My daughters puter is run thru Cat5 cable,I'm on adsl 512k and she often gets higher connection speeds than my puter.I was amused/confused as whilst listening to the same Internet Radio station,she was approx 10 secs AHEAD of mine after a few hours(Her puter is also half as quick,cpu/RAM,as mine) :-)

scratchy7 08:29 19 Aug 03

Does anyone know of a good source for custom cables? I think that this may be the way forwards :-)

cheers

DieSse 08:42 19 Aug 03

There isn't a cable length limitation - just consider, the telephone cable to you is several hundred, up to several thousand metres long before it even gets to your house - and it's nothing more than a twisted pair.

If you get better speeds with a shorter cable, then there's somthing else wrong, not the actual length of the cable. Very likely a bad connection where the connectors are crimped on, or a damaged connector. Also cable joiners are not a "good" thing.

I routinely fit extension points for computers with much longer cables than 15m, using very ordinary cabling, with no deleteriuos effects at all.

seedie 08:57 19 Aug 03

Although you'll have to use a plug to get into your modem, try using soldered connections all the way to where the cable enters the house. I did this coupla years ago and solved drop-out and speed problems.

Drop-wire from a distribution pole can also cause problems if the connection isn't tight enough.

CD

scratchy7 21:54 19 Aug 03

I'll have to give my cables the twice over i think.

Cheers :-)

I'm really dreading the possibility of broadband being this slow when i get it...

scratchy7 22:06 19 Aug 03

just disconnected and reconnected my cables and logged back in at 40k!

yay!

thanks very much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…