1.5Gb Pagefile ??????

lloydsj 22:33 27 Mar 03

Hi,

I have just noticed that I have got a 1.5Gb Pagefile on my Windows XP machine. This to me seems a little excessive?

My setup is a Pentium 4 2.4Ghtz, 120 Gig HD (c: being 30 gig, and d: being the rest), with 1 Gig Ram.

Is having a 1.5 Gb swap file normal?

I have had a look at the system swap file settings and its is recommending this size (I have currently got to System Managed Size, but i have also tried changing it so that i set my own size for it... being much smaller... but it didnt change a thing).

Advice please...
Stu

eccomputers 22:46 27 Mar 03

I have a 4gig file on a seperate drive to the windows system hard drive and boy did it speed up.

eccomputers 22:47 27 Mar 03

I have a 4gig file on a seperate drive to the windows system hard drive and boy did it speed up. It takes a percentage of your hard drive free space. If you have a 20gig drive, the pagefile will be much smaller.

jazzypop 22:48 27 Mar 03

You have 1 GB RAM and 1.5GB paging file (swapfile). Unless you use some seriously heavy memory-intensive software, you don't need a 1.5GB swapfile.

On the other hand, with 120GB of HDD, you won't really notice the gain if you reduce the swapfile by 0.5 or even 1GB - will you?

By all means reduce it if you need the space.

See click here for a useful intro to swapfile sizes and usage (although the instructions for altering sizes are W9x-specific).

BTW, Windows has, since W95, automatically assigned 8-10% (from memory) of your HDD as a paging / swapfile. Handy when you had 16MB of RAM, not so appropriate with 1GB :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…