1394 Connection Anybody any ideas???

Koochy 23:59 22 Feb 06

I have just done a full system restore on my evesham voyager laptop and in my network connections i now have another connection called "1394 Net Adapter" Does anyone know what this is and what it does and do i need to start panicking? any advice welcome. I have never had this in a year of owning my laptop.

Win xp home srvc pac 2
Athlon 64 3700+ cpu
Ati mobility radeon 9700 graphics
1GB ram

It also has wi-fi as well could it be something to do withthat?

johnnyrocker 00:02 23 Feb 06

no problem calm down ;) 1394 is a local ethernet connection facility for sharing with another computer of your choice via a cable
sleep well.

johnny.

Koochy 00:05 23 Feb 06

It says it is connected at the moment but my adsl broadband connection is on local area connection 2 is this okay? and can i disable it without any upset?

johnnyrocker 00:11 23 Feb 06

you might need to check other connections to your computer first, but in general it should not be a problem, if it is you can always go back into control panel/network connections and right click and enable

johnny.

Koochy 00:13 23 Feb 06

Thanks again for the quick responses. I will mark this as solved and tick the box

Cheers

Koochy

Koochy 00:18 23 Feb 06

By disabling the 1394 connection i have seen a great increase in my download speed.

007al 00:27 23 Feb 06

1394 is the firewire port.It can be used to connect two computers for high speed connection or for plug and play hardware just like USB2, ie camcorders and things.Cant see why it would effect download speeds though if nothing is connected to it

Les 10:11 23 Feb 06

Possibly due to the time, ie: Late - I believe the speed rises as the number of users drops. If so then perhaps that would explain the apparent speed gain.

Koochy 16:10 23 Feb 06

Les i think you're right as i have enabeled it again and it hasn't done anything to the speed this time thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…