132MB RAM Missing

Sethhaniel 15:22 15 Mar 04

Computer : Patriot AMDK6-2 450MHZ
windows '98 which had 32MB PC100 SDRam
Have just got a 256MB PC100 SDRam but on insertion (in either slot)two slots on Motherboard it only registers as having 156MB Ram
- wheres the other 132MB -
tried a couple of BIOS settings - to no avail

ANY Help?? !!!

tafoody 15:26 15 Mar 04

you could check windows hasn't had a limit set,

start\run type in MSCONFIG under general\advanced you should see an option to limit the available RAM, adjust or uncheck.

Diodorus Siculus 15:26 15 Mar 04

Your BIOS must have a limitation on th aamt of RAM it can handle; perhaps a mazimum of 128mb per slot.

Sethhaniel 16:22 15 Mar 04

the box was unticked - tried it with full RAM allocated etc,. but not recognising more than 156MB
could be the boaRD has only 128mb a slot - can I find out ??? other than it not reading my Memory?

Diodorus Siculus 16:25 15 Mar 04

click here#
Aida32 will id your motherboard; then do a google search for details of it.

Smiler 16:32 15 Mar 04

You beat me to it again I was going to point Sethhaniel here click here

Sethhaniel 16:41 15 Mar 04

So program quoting 53 minutes to download - so be back to you in about an hour
Regards

Sethhaniel 10:42 16 Mar 04

And doesn't like windows 98 - just heng the machine at each attempt to run -
Good News found motherboard and manual is being downloaded as I write click here
motherboard being the BKMVP4
Let you know what it supports memory wise

Sethhaniel 10:54 16 Mar 04

From the Manual :Changing System Memory
The Book PC mainboard has two 168-pin, 3.3 V DIMM (Dual In-line Memory Modules) slots, which can be installed with SDRAM (Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory) memory modules. You can use either 66 or 100 MHz memory modules.
You must install at least one memory module in order to use the Book PC. You can install the memory module into any of the two DIMM slots. Each module can have a capacity from 16 MB up to 256 MB, for a maximum system capacity of 512 MB.
The edge connectors on the memory modules have cut outs, which coincide with struts in the DIMM slots, so the memory modules can only be installed in the correct way.
On the DIMM slot, pull the locking latches at either end of the slots outwards. Position the memory module correctly and insert it into the DIMM slot. Press the module down into the slot so that the locking latches lever inwards and lock the module in place.

Sethhaniel 11:26 16 Mar 04

Judst ran a small program called MemInfo11
and it reports Bank 0 = 256MB SDRAM PC133 and Bank 1 = 32MB SDRAM PC100 -
Motherboard says 66 or 100mHZ
Question OK its got 156MHZ working - If I was to take out the 32 MB would the 256 be recognised?
or are there any BIOS tweaks

Diodorus Siculus 11:40 16 Mar 04

Take out the 32 MB module and see what is recognised.

Check also how much RAM is give over to graphics - I take it that you have onboard graphics?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…