12Mb registry

ronsla 23:38 17 Oct 04

Can anyone advise how I can reduce the size of my registry which is over 12Mb. I understand Win98 has a limit of 11Mb. I've tried a cleaner which found over 800 invalid paths and apparently corrected them - I ran the compact optio but the size of the registry hasnt changed. If I run scanreg /opt it stops after 90% saying error occurred and restores the original.

Dan the Confused 00:00 18 Oct 04

You could try TuneUp Utilities 2004 (30 day free trial). It has a good registry cleaner and optimiser on it. click here

Stuartli 11:20 18 Oct 04

If you have a good sized hard drive, then 12MB will/should make very little difference.

I have XP Pro, for which System Restore takes 12 per cent of the hard drive space by default (set at a time when drive capacities were very much lower than today).

I've adjusted it to three per cent (since raised to four per cent); at three per cent the total involved was 1,533MB and it's now 2,200MB at four per cent on a 60GB drive.

ronsla 13:31 18 Oct 04

Thanks for the replies so far. I've emailed Tuneup to check that their software will actually reduce the registry.
Stuartli - I am using Win98 and it is the actual registry which I have been told is limited to 11Mb. Over that size and I am told there can be random mysterious faults ( which is what I get from time to time).

canard 22:08 18 Oct 04

Please how do you find out how big the registry is?

ronsla 07:14 19 Oct 04

Re registry size - for Win98 there are 2 files in the C:\windows folder - system.dat and user.dat. Their combined size is the registry size.

canard 20:43 20 Oct 04

Thankyou ronsala.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…