128Mb ram recognised as 64Mb

Askit 16:48 14 Sep 03

I tried to upgrade my pc's ram by adding an extra 128mb to it. It is only showing up as 64MB. Please help.

The motherboard is an MSI 6156 and has a PIII 500Mhz processor.

seedie 17:14 14 Sep 03

Looks like you got the wrong ram.

Go to the Crucial site and check what sort of ram you MB needs

sil_ver 17:16 14 Sep 03

I suspect your memory bank can only take 64Mb per slot.

DieSse 17:37 14 Sep 03

Motherboards of this era only take certain types of RAM modules, due to constraints in the way the memory addresses are handled. The two types have the same capacity, but are organised differently internally. The newer (current) modules, often called "single-sided" have more address lines, but the motherboard isn't compatible - the upshot is that you only see half the capacity.

This site actually talks about these compatability issues - click here

So seedies advice is correct - you need a different type of RAM, usually called "double-sided" - it's actually very unlikely that your motherboard is limited to 64Mb per slot.

ardvarc 17:55 14 Sep 03

Have a look at the Crucial RAM for your MoBo. Do you have the manual for this MoBo and what is the BIOS date.

click here

Gaz 25 18:02 14 Sep 03

Have you onboard graphics?

Askit 18:58 14 Sep 03

Thanks DieSse, I think you've hit the nail on the head, I'll change the ram and see if that works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…