128 - Unknown Error - Code 5 at start up

GL1200 20:41 24 Jun 04

On starting my 98SE system I see "128 Unknown Error - Code 5". This message appears imediately after the extended memory test. The memory test completes OK, the error message is then displayed, and the Boot Up stalls at that point.
Any ideas or suggestions as to possible causes or fixes?

NB. I am able to start the computer in Safe Mode.

Many thanks,

Richard.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:46 24 Jun 04

Code 5
The driver for this device requested a resource that Windows does not know how to handle. (Code 5)

To fix this, click Update Driver to update the driver for this device.
Solution button: Update Driver

This code indicates that there was a device failure due to the lack of an arbitrator. If a device requests a resource type for which there is no arbitrator, you receive this error code.

To resolve this problem, update the driver as suggested, or use Device Manager to remove the device and then run the Add New Hardware tool in Control Panel.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:48 24 Jun 04

In safe mode unistall and reinstall graphic drivers, modem drivers and any other cards you may have in your PC.

/\0/\

GL1200 15:35 25 Jun 04

Thanks for the reply Fruit Bat.
I will try your suggestions over the next few hours. I will post the result.

Thanks again,

Richard.

GL1200 22:31 25 Jun 04

Problem solved.
I tried uninstalling / reinstalling drivers to no avail. Eventually resolved the problem by uninstalling McAfee Anti Virus and replacing with Norton. System is now working perfectly.

materialworlds 02:24 28 Jun 04

I'm having the same problem. How do you uninstall mcafee if the computer stalls at '128 - Unknown Error - Code 5 at start up'?
Is there a key combination to hold to skip mcafee on boot-up?
Thanks,
Jonathan

materialworlds 03:25 28 Jun 04

Pressed F8 to single step autoexec.bat and skipped the mcafee line. Then rem'ed mcafee out of autoexec.bat and deactivated viruscan in the control panel and rebooted.
I think the problem must have been caused by the latest virus definition updates crashing mcafee's scan.exe.
Jonathan

Digicomfort 10:16 29 Jun 04

It seems that the PC crashes after installing McAfee's most recent superdat file. But what if I still want to use Mcafee version 4 (because it is installed on an old PC with not much resources)? First I'll take a look at click here I guess...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…