BBez 20:51 23 Jan 03
  BBez 20:51 23 Jan 03

Very basic network. 2 PCs, (pc1 running 2000 pro, pc2 running 98se). When copying files over to pc1 from pc2 it get's to around 10MB copied then the icon on the taskbar shows that the network connection has been lost. The NICs are both 10MB connected through Cat 5e x-over cable. One problem I have noticed is that if I swap NICs around in PCs, the 98se PC can run a Ping 127.0.0.1 to test both cards but if I try Pinging in 2000 Pro I get "request timed out" for both cards. Net BEUI & TCP/IP protocols installed along with Client for MS Nets and F& Print sharing.
Any ideas, thanks in advance...

BBez 21:27 23 Jan 03

resolved. Cat 5e was too close to TV

smcarlsen 21:28 23 Jan 03

What IP addesses & subnet mask have you given each pc? Have you assigned both pc's to the same workgroup? Do you know for sure your cable is undamaged? If you are using TCP/IP you will not need Netbeui. Are you able to ping any of the pc's when they are managing the initial file transfers?
My immediate thought is ip addresses and subnet masks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…