125,000 Users Later Tonight?

Pesala 22:40 06 Dec 03

Not long since we were celebrating the 100,000 mark. Anybody remember when that was? About February of March, wasn't it?

Salinger 22:45 06 Dec 03

Does it matter? the figure represents REGISTERED users, not how many actually use the site.

How many have have used the site for one question and then get on with their lives?

Forum Editor 23:03 06 Dec 03

Well of course it does, what else would it represent?

We know that the total number of registrations includes people who have registered more than once (presumably they have their reasons), but we also know that they represent only a tiny proportion of the overall total. It's also true that there are lots of people who register and only visit us now and then - but they aren't the majority. We know exactly how many times each person has logged in, so we know what our average audience is. About a year ago we were ABC rated at 1.3 million page impressions a month. We had far fewer members then, and the current traffic levels are higher.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure why anyone feels the need to post like Salinger did - what's the problem with what Pesala said? We know that thousands of people visit us each day, and we know that many of them get real help from real people - surely that's what counts isn't it? The fact that the registration figures continue to climb - albeit more slowly now - is an indication that we're providing a useful (free) service, which is something that a lot of computer magazines can't be bothered to do.

It doesn't seem that long ago that we used to have a regular little unofficial competition every Friday or saturday night, to try and guess how soon we would get to say, 10,000 or 15,000 members. I think that zero to 125,000 in just over three years isn't bad going. During that period lots of other forums have opened up, had a go, and called it a day, while we've been steadily growing in size.

Salinger 23:07 06 Dec 03

Are we not entitled to express an opinion on here?

Djohn 23:13 06 Dec 03

Pesala 16 more to go and 45 minutes to do it in. You just might be spot on. j.

Pesala 23:17 06 Dec 03

but then you won't mind the Forum Editor expressing his opinion, and me expressing mine.

It's true, the numbers do not accurately represent the numbers who actively participate at the moment, and it is not of huge importance.

I've been posting here for the best part of a year, and have seen the membership grow steadily.

I've been to other PC forums, but always come back here because the response is so much quicker, and usually appreciative.

It is not a chat forum, but Saturday nights often produce a few threads like this, which are a kind of reflection on how we are doing. Stick around and enjoy the party.

Pesala 23:19 06 Dec 03

I can't join any more times, I'm running out of email addresses. (~_~)

The Spires 23:20 06 Dec 03

Salinger others do a have a right to reply & disagree/agree with you. I find Pc's to be an interesting hobby that is part of my life along with other related & unrelated interests. Helping others eben in a small way on here can be a satisfying part of a balanced & happy life.

Forum Editor 23:24 06 Dec 03

Of course you are - in fact you have, haven't you? All I did was explain things a little to clear the air. I felt that your post was unecessarily negative, but if I got that wrong, or if my response was in any way unsettling for you I apologise - we want no unhappy people here on a Saturday night. As Pesala says, we often have these threads at this time - it's the one point in the week when the forum coasts along a little, and we can explore such things as this.

Forum Editor 23:34 06 Dec 03

that I can watch people register, and at this time of night we often get registrations from far afield. We have a healthy contingent of members in China, and the numbers grow steadily - although slowly. Chinese registrations often come in at around this time - late night here, but early in the morning there. We have registered members in almost every major country in the world including America, China, Australia, Africa, and many countries in Asia. There are people from all the European countries, plus Russia, so we're a truly international forum.

Many people from outside the UK and America tend to log in and read, rather than post in the threads, and I suppose that's understandable. English isn't the easiest of languages, and trying to discuss a computing problem in a foreign language on a web forum is my idea of a nightmare.

Rabi 23:35 06 Dec 03

Agree with Pesala, and FE:

PCA Helproom has been most helpful to me and many others I know, no doubt helpful to a great many who have come in once, had their problem solved, and moved on.

Thank you, PCA, for the free service; has been more helpful to me than I expected, having been to many other forums.

One popular forum PDA Street, replied to a question I asked by telling me I was a "wimp", to go and read the help files and I would learn the answers and rocedures I needed, as most other people did! And, this was from the Forum Moderator! So, thanks, PCA.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…