12 sec boot up PC how to do that

The F1 Help Key 05:29 04 Nov 07

hi my friend PC can boot and start in 12 sec..he did it infront of me...well he has a p4, 2.4ghz,and 500mb ram.win xp pro...how can i do it with my PC please tell me..

Taff™ 08:06 04 Nov 07

I`ve never seen an XP machine boot from "cold" in 12 seconds, certainly not one with that specification. He may have had it in "Hibernate" or "Standby" mode or he may have disabled the majority of start up programs in msconfig - ask him!

FatboySlim71 08:17 04 Nov 07

I agree, it does sound like it was in Hibernate mode.

Hibernate mode is handy if you want to continue EXACTLY where you were at on your PC, as it saves whatever you were doing/programs you had open etc prior to going into Hibernation, it saves these to the hard drive, I.E. If you need to go somewhere or similar situation, and as such the PC will boot up very quickly from the Hibernation mode.

But it is not recommended to always Hibernate the PC, it is recommended to Shut the PC down at least once a day (thats what I always do)

cocteau48 08:46 04 Nov 07

Well mine has just booted out of hibernation in a staggering !!!!!!! 40 secs.
.....but out of standby in about 12 secs.
I guess there's your answer.

crosstrainer 09:00 04 Nov 07

Number2 machine...XP pro, 2gb ram, takes at least 30 secs to boot....I'm with the others on this, he is "cheating" by putting the machine into standby or hibernate. If not, with those spec's he must have disabled near enough everything that is supposed to start at bootup!

Andsome 09:21 04 Nov 07

Why worry about it if you are happy with your machine. I would say that anything under a couple of minutes is quite normal. Mine takes about one minue forty seconds from cold. If you boot much faster, what are you going to do with all that time saved? I suppose you could alweays dig the garden.

crosstrainer 09:33 04 Nov 07

Make a coffee....:) Any excuse to hit the java!

The F1 Help Key 09:46 04 Nov 07

am sure the PC was off...not hibernation or stand by...i personally plug his power cables in the plug...he does not use any ups or what so ever..

Probabilitydrive 10:00 04 Nov 07

Even a Flash Hard-drive is not able to achieve a boot up in this time click here so I guess, its down to magic..again..like so many things concerning computing...(:

Meshuga 10:07 04 Nov 07

I`ve just timed my pc booting up and it`s 45 seconds. I can`t see why anyone wants to "keep up with the Joneses" for the sake of a couple of seconds gained, even if it were possible. As X7-250 has said, Why don`t you ask your friend how he does it.

Stuartli 10:15 04 Nov 07

Even in Hibernate form, in my case boot up takes about half-a-minute.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…