1.2 Gb of unknown folders

plsndrs3 16:47 09 Feb 05

Hi,

Had a major crash on my PC last night after installing a Siemens Fingerprint ID mouse & had to reformat.

No problem there, but I innocently looked at the properties on my C drive. Before the reformat it was 2.9Gb used, now it is 3.86GB, even though I have moved some files to a second drive. In theory, at least, there should be less space used - not more!

Thanks to an earlier posting, I have downloaded and used JDisk report & this shows: Windows 1.2GB; Programs 425MB & the only other significant 'other folders' @ 1.2 GB. I think that these are something left over from before [is it a concidence that it is the same size as Windows - although i don't get a 'which windows do you want to use screen' when booting?] & I can't see what these are. Nothing seems out of the ordinary when searched vi explorer or when using DOS.

Can anyone help? It's not a problem - my PC works well & I have loads of spare room - it's just that I don't understand why I cannot find and delete these.

TIA

Paul

User-312386 17:06 09 Feb 05

have you got system restore turned on?

plsndrs3 17:11 09 Feb 05

Yes, but as the reformat was only done last night I can't see this being the culprit - unless this is rubbish from the crash? Also, the size of the file in 'properties is turned right down [just over a gig].

Paul

plsndrs3 18:37 09 Feb 05

^Bump^

dan11 19:38 09 Feb 05

As madboy33©® says

Windows system restore, by default, reserves 12% of hard drive space. It does not matter if you have one restore point or twenty. That space is marked as used. Is your C partition or disk 10 gig? Then 12% of 10 gig is 1.2Gb.

Check in control panel > system > system restore > C drive > settings. It will tell you in Mb's how much it is using.

dagwoood 21:54 09 Feb 05

plsndrs3, since the reformat, have you checked the size of your page file?

Another thing to consider is did you do a "quick format" when you reinstalled your o/s? Once I had to have my o/s reinstalled(didn't do it myself, had a problem with my cd drive)and when I got my pc back and was installing the applications I use, I kept getting error messages saying they were already installed. I also noticed, as you have, that there was a lot of h/d space used that I couldn't account for.

I tried to find these apps in windows explorer but couldn't. I then found out that on rare occasions, if you format with XP, sometimes the h/d isn't totally erased and you can end up with data on the disk but can't actually "see" it because none of the old data is "registered" and effectively not seen by your newly installed o/s.

The way to cure it was to zero the drive(totally erase all the data on the h/d, effectively taking it back to how it was when it left the factory), format it and then install windows.

I would consider doing this as a last resort, zeroing the drive can take quite a while. It took nearly 2 hours when I did this recently on my 40GB h/d.

Hopefully someone else may have a cure/suggestion that will help you that's not so time consuming.

HTH, dagwoood.

CHRoNÏÇ DÂWG 22:25 09 Feb 05

i also had a similar problem to this on my laptop, after a problem i reinstaled winxp, i then later noticed that i had lost 2 gb of HD space, turns out i have installed ANOTHER version of XP onto the HD, so ive got 2 choices when i turn on the pc, i still havnt worked out to remove the 1st copy so i still have 2gb missing!!!

User-312386 00:20 10 Feb 05

turn off system restore and re-boot and see what happens

plsndrs3 08:52 10 Feb 05

dan11 - C is 80Gb, but as I mentioned, I have reduced the storage to the smallest setting [just over 1 Gb]. System restore was on before format but with 'less' hard space being used.

madboy33©® - as above. I followed your suggestion and have turned off restore & rebooted. Size has gone down to 3.35 Gb, but if you consider the 'pie chart' I mention in the first posting and the total space that was previously allocated, there is still some 1.2Gb I cannot account for.

CHRoNÏÇ DÂWG - I don't have an option of booting to 2 versions of windows, but I think that you are along the right lines. Like dagwood says, I think that there may be a 'ghost' installation of windows still on the HDD and, as it is not recorded in the Registry I don't get boot up options nor can I 'see' it in Windows. I thought I had done a full reformat as MS Works reappeared and had to be removed but I could be wrong. I don't want to spend another 2 hours reformatting again!

Any other ideas anyone? If not, I'll leave things as they are as the computer works anyhow.

Thanks,

Paul

FelixTCat 09:18 10 Feb 05

Try downloading TreeSize from click here When you run it, it will tell you that you should buy TreeSize Pro for large disks but will run anyway. It will show you the size of every directory so that you can identify the culprit(s).

If it turns out to be marked as a hidden or system file, it can even delete it if Explorer can't (or won't).

plsndrs3 09:46 10 Feb 05

Fabtastic little program! Thank you.

It has identified that MS Works, Money and the myriad of folders for ISPs that come with a new installation were still on the hard drive - although Explorer was adamant that they had been deleted. Removing & cleaning now.

There is almost a gig of temporary folders in my profile - even though I use CCleaner every day [?] Sorting that out as well.

Thanks again - now closed.

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…