1080p monitor for XP Pro

zoobie 02:31 05 Nov 14

My desktop card will display 1080p but I'm having trouble finding a monitor that works with XP. This is something I've never heard of until I bought a monitor that, as it turns out, was only Vista compatible. Any clues where I can find a cheapo for XP? Thanks

Ian in Northampton 07:42 05 Nov 14

The best I can tell you is that I have never, ever heard of any monitor working with only a specific operating system. That sounds very strange. Was the source of your information a reliable one? In theory, any monitor should work with XP.

zoobie 08:34 05 Nov 14

I've never heard of a monitor being OS dependent, either.

I've just bought a Asus VS228H 1080p monitor and the first thing I noticed was it drastically degrades my website's online video. I've gone thru all settings including Bios & display, setting the default at 1920x1080. I've tried lower resolutions to no avail. I go to Asus website and saw some updates but they're just for unrelated multi-screen displays. It must be some sort of virtual memory problem.

Running XP Pro, ATI Radeon onboard X1250

Woolwell 08:44 05 Nov 14

I don't think that it is directly related to OS but is related to the graphics and the drivers that are available. Your problem may be with the onboard graphics. Is it up to it and do you have the latest drivers for the graphics?

zoobie 08:53 05 Nov 14

The onboard card has worked great for years and the driver is up to date. The first thing I thought was maybe some monitor problem or virtual memory needed to run the 1080 display.

Woolwell 09:03 05 Nov 14

Your onboard card may have worked well for years but that doesn't mean that it is not struggling with this new monitor.

Woolwell 09:05 05 Nov 14

Another thought which browser are you using and do you have hardware acceleration turned on?

zoobie 09:13 05 Nov 14

Hardware acceleration is turn all the way on. I tried different resolutions and it's still degraded.

Woolwell 09:20 05 Nov 14

Try without hardware acceleration.

SparkyJack 09:44 05 Nov 14

This certainly looks like a motherboard component failure ,the onboard grphicsvor associated components. Does your machine have the capability for /graphics card (PCI)? O

zoobie 10:23 05 Nov 14

Yes...I've a few slots left. I saw an AGP slot in there, too. I built this thing for video editing 8 years ago. I don't want to spend much on fixing it because my large video files play fine locally. My video editor plays fine, too. It's just an online case it appears.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…