100 percent cpu thrashing reading cd rom WinXP sp1

mikeyboy2003 22:26 10 Apr 03

Guys, I am hoping someone can tell me how on earth I can change the configuration of my cd rom drive.

Basically when I am encoding an audio disk into mp3 for instance [or even copying a large file from a CD to my hard disk] the cpu usage of my pc thrashes itself to death at 100%.

I have heard in Win2k you can change the access type to be some thing like dma mode or something but I can't find a way to do this in WinXP - assuming this is the cause of the problem I am experiencing. I am amazed still though that WinXP would not use the most efficient way of reading from CD roms in the first place - nothing would surprise me though about Microsoft operating systems though :)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance

Mike

spaciousmonti 22:29 10 Apr 03

Your problem is probably the way the pc was built.
The HD arddrive and the cdrom are probably on the same ide cable, this causes the processor to do its ut trying to "suck and blow" down the same pipe at one" (imagine it and you get the idea). Open her up and change the connections, or better still get some one who can.

Tara

mikeyboy2003 22:37 10 Apr 03

Thanks for that Tara, however I had disconnected my CDRW drive which was sharing the same ide cable as my cd rom drive in case this was causing the problem. I have tried this approach with both cd rom and cd writer drives on their own on the ide cable [at the end of the cable].

My hard disk is on a seperate ide cable also. A

ny other hints greatly appreciated as this is the second machine I have built with this problem and it is driving me insane :-(

thanks again

Mike

NICK ADSL UK 22:53 10 Apr 03

hi mike I use db power amp for all my MP3 conversions, which can be found here click here

mikeyboy2003 23:09 10 Apr 03

I appreciate your reply but I think things will not improve if I install this software - in fact I imagine the problem will still persist. The problem can be with anything related to CD rom reads, as I often copy entire CD's to my hard disk. When I do this my PC is inoperable because the machine is thrashing the heck out of itself with CD rom drive accesses.

Thanks though.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…