100% CPU usage all the time

Morwenna 18:49 20 Oct 03

I would really appreciate some help. I am running a Time laptop P4 with over 1Ghz speed and 40GB (75% free) hdd. Windows XP. 512mb RAM My machine has been very noisy from time to time and I have now found the task manager and discovered the noise is when it is running at 100% CPU (system) It is now doing this all the time. Performance is v slow. I have run Norton antivirus (up to date) and Housecall and both say it is clean. I run spybot after every internet session. I do not have the two XP patches that sometimes cause slow performance. Can anybody suggest anything??

Yokel 19:21 20 Oct 03

What process does task manager show as hogging the CPU ?
Or do you expect something other than 'system idle' to be near 100% and it's just the noise that worries you ?
System Idle usage shows under Processes but doesn't show in the Performance graph as far as I can see.

Morwenna 21:08 20 Oct 03

Yokel, thanks for your reply. Right now I only have Internet explorer running and under the CPU column in task manager 'system idle process' has a value of 00 and is at the bottom of the list. The process using 99% is simply labelled 'system'. Internet explorer is using 1%
I quess the noise is just the cooling fan, but it shouldn't be cooling itself constantly should it?

I have looked at other posts with this question but they all suggest a virus or some programme I dont have as being the culprit

Incidentally, am I harming the processor by using it whilst it is doing this??

graham√ 21:25 20 Oct 03

You have nothing to lose, except unsaved data, by selecting 'System' and clicking 'End process'.

douglegs 21:42 20 Oct 03

I had a similar problem which was causing all sorts of problems with the PC. In the end I tracked it to REALPLAYER running in the background permanatly and using all the systems resource. A deletion cured the problem. Haven't reinstalled again yet, but maybe ok again after?

Morwenna 09:06 21 Oct 03

Is it possible for realplayer (or any other programme) to be running in the background without showing in the task manager? Is there any way of finding out what part of 'system' is using all the system resources?

Morwenna 14:09 21 Oct 03

I have tried selecting 'system' and clicking 'end process' and there was no response. I tried altering priority to 'low' and got an 'access denied' message. Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

does anyone think I should try another virus scanner, or that it could be a hardware problem?

I have recently loaded 'spybot' and 'adaware' also recently loaded BT broadband, does anyone think they might be responsible??

raakash 18:01 22 Oct 03

check your cpu cooling fan whether working properly or not!

DAG88 18:07 22 Oct 03

A methid you could use to test to see if it is a hardware problem (but quite drastic one) is to format your hard drive. To do that boot from your Win XP CD and press R to repair at the first screen. You will enter the XP recovery console. Type, "format c:" and then confirm.

make back ups off all your work and make sure you have everyhting you need to rebuild up your computer

DAG88 18:08 22 Oct 03

if it is still constantly at 100% CPU usage then it is a hardware problem but if not, then it is a software problem

muppetmark 18:43 22 Oct 03

It's cooling itself because the cpu is running constantly at 100% what does msconfig say is starting with windows ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…