100% cpu usage

JLPCORR2 23:51 04 Apr 07

Hi

I have a Packard Bell EasyNote laptop. I'm running Windows XP Home with Zone Alarm firewall & antispyware plus AVG antivirus and Spysweeper.

My problem is that the machine constantly reaches 100% cpu usage and the fan speed increases considerably making it very noisey. In addition the base of the computer becomes very hot.

I have tried to download microsoft updates but the system just freezes as when it reaches 100% usage it can't do anything.

The processor is a Celeron M which seems to be totally inadequate for anything other than word processing. The fan doesn't seem to be effective either.

Anybody have any thoughts on the cause of this?

Thanks.

Kate B 23:59 04 Apr 07

I'd start by doing scans with all the antimalware - 100 per cent CPU usage is high and suggests some kind of infection. Get hold of A Squared, Windows Defender, Spybot and Adaware and see what they report.

JLPCORR2 00:04 05 Apr 07

I already have Spybot and Adaware. Both are clear. In addition Zone Alarm, Spysweeper and AVG report no infections.

JLPCORR2 00:15 05 Apr 07

Have now run a-aquared. Still clean.

birdface 00:15 05 Apr 07

Go into Taskmaster ,Processes,And see what you have running.

JLPCORR2 00:25 05 Apr 07

Under Processes nothing is showing up as high cpu usage. System idle Processes is 98. explorer 01.
40 processes in total are running at a charge of 443M/28.
Memory usage should be fine as there is 1GB on board.

birdface 00:41 05 Apr 07

Maybe I have this wrong if system idle is 98% that should meen that other programs are only using 2%.

JLPCORR2 00:45 05 Apr 07

That does appear to be the case.

birdface 11:53 05 Apr 07

I have something like the same problem,If I run Avg Anti-Virus and try and run another program,Pca or Ladbrooks it struggles to view them,My computer is about 4 year old now,Probably needs upgrading,But what you are going to pay to up-grade is as well going towards a new computer .you could try this Optimizer, click here to try for a month,You can only delete 10 items at a time with the free one,But you can run it as many times as you like,You should get a large increase on your speeds,Worth a try,Has its own Defrag on it if you wish to use it,My problem is I think I need a new Psu,Might try one eventually.

birdface 11:54 05 Apr 07
  JLPCORR2 23:57 06 Apr 07

Ok. The caulprit seems to be the file svchost.exe
This is a windows file but takes over 99% of cpu use when in use.
When this occurs nothing else will work, the laptop becomes totally unresponsive. Sometimes its even impossible to close a window or open the task manager.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…