100% CPU usage

elluche 22:47 17 Jan 07

Hi guys,

Hope someone can help. For the past couple of days, Task Manager is reporting incidents of 100% cpu usage. It occurs at different times - when opening torrents in BitComet, opening Adobe Reader, playing videos in Opera and when running scans in Adaware, Spybot & Avast.

When it hits 100%, I have to shut the program, so I can't run any scan to completion, and hence don't know what to do...

I've got an Acer laptop and have recently installed RegCleaner (but not used it) and SuperISO (but not used that either).

Thanks for your help

imacd 23:04 17 Jan 07

hit Ctrl + Alt + Del and check under Processes - this will tell you what program is using all the capacity

elluche 00:17 18 Jan 07

Hi imacd,

Thanks for replying. I've done this, but the program changes depending on what I've been using i.e. when I try to play a video in Opera, then Opera uses 100% and when I open Adobe then that's at 100%...

terryf 02:32 18 Jan 07

It happens with me too but it is only a transient thing, just a spike really and I don't think that you should worry unless it was 100% all the time when you are doing some heavy processing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ed-0 08:23 18 Jan 07

Firstly, you are using a P2P file sharing program, so any one can access your laptop. They could be any number of net users scanning through your system.

Adobe reader can be a right pain in locking up systems, if it doesn't like something, it will freeze everything dead. Scrap it and use foxit reader. A smaller, less intrusive and faster pdf reader.

Also what are the specifications of the laptop.

ps, just put foxit in google.co.uk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…