100% cpu usage

Sea-horse 12:45 06 Dec 04

I am running Windows XP Professional Edition on my Dell P3 and after a few minutes of operation the pc slows and the cpu runs at 100% for ages forcing a shut down. I have found terminating process fxssvc.exe solves the problem but new instances seem to start themselves. I have tried a workaround in Knowledge Base 317450 deleting the fax queue folder(even though the symptoms are different) but this has not solved the problem. Can you help please??

Thanks

VoG II 12:49 06 Dec 04

Recommendation :
Set to disabled or manual in "Administrative Tools / Services" in the Control Panel if you do not use Microsoft Fax. This is especially important given that this service uses a lot of memory and, also, it will often generate boot-up errors if it is enabled but was never configured. click here

Xevious 12:50 06 Dec 04

find, and remove any instance of spyware:
click here

have you got any AV?

Sea-horse 13:10 06 Dec 04

I don't use fax so will try this

mattyc_92 14:13 06 Dec 04

I agree with Xevious, this sounds like spyware and/or a worm. Try a FULL SYSTEM scan using your antivirus software and a "Spyware Removal" program such as "Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3"

click here to download "Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3" from "download.com"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…