100% CPU Computer Freezing Urgent Help Required!

Iluaf 12:58 26 Jan 07

Hi!!!

Really hoping you guys can help me as you were AWESOME sorting me out once before!!!

My PC has previously been reliable. I use Pro tools for recording & also have Cubase software & because of extra memory this requires, I recently upgraded my memory & added another hard drive. I had a new power supply at the same time.

This week my PC mouse has been playing up & programmes freezing & when I hit CTL Alt Del it says the CPU is on 100%. When it gradually goes down I can use the programme again.

When I am in a recording programme I disable Firefox/everything else & at some point it always freezes & when I hit CTL ALT Del my CPU is back at 100% but does not go down until I have left the programme.

I need the PC for work & am increasingly frustrated. I have asked on the music forums & they seem to think it is a PC issue rather than a Pro tools or Cubase issue.

Any advice, help or support would be very highly appreciated!

Sally

cappac 13:17 26 Jan 07

do you use this computer on the net if so it sounds as though it could be virus/spy ware type problem try using spy bot/ad aware or even down loading avg and giving your puter a good clean up

skidzy 15:11 26 Jan 07

Agree with cappac

Also try click here and click here

As cappac has pointed out,run your antivirus and antispyware apps..but maybe best in safe mode.
Tapping F8 on startup will get you into safemode.

If you could post the exact process that is using your cpu,we may be able to help further and diagnose the problem.
Open task manager and on the left you will have the process,now look under cpu and find what is using the resources.
Post back exactly how it is spelt.Reason being,some Viruses/Malware disguise themselves as a legit process.

Iluaf 22:41 26 Jan 07

Thanks guys - I wondered if using Pro tools was making my computer get hot - I have heard Protools 7.3 eats your CPU & I wondered if that happened, would that cause my CPU to stick at 100%?

Today I was in Protools - all was fine until an hour in, when it became unresponsive. I left Pro tools, tried to finish it in Cubase & had the same problem. I then switched off, came back an hour later & managed to finish without interruptions.

I had a new power supply fitted recently & wondered if this may be to blame?

Kate B 22:57 26 Jan 07

Possibly - and you could be overheating, too. Any fans not working? The new PSU may be generating more heat than the old one, too, so you might need to think about some additional cooling.

Iluaf 23:06 26 Jan 07

Thanks Kate. Fans seem to be working OK.

I had a look at the processes of which there are 36 - should I copy & paste?

woodchip 23:28 26 Jan 07

Try going into MSCONFIG from Run, Startup Tab Page remove all ticks other than Firewall and Anti-virus. restart computer and test. If all OK you could try loading one item back at a time, Do not load things that do not need to be running all the time from Boot. Only things you need to use

Kate B 00:15 27 Jan 07

36 processes doesn't sound excessive, but you could always Google any that you don't recognise.

skidzy 09:24 27 Jan 07

As ive said earlier Iluaf dont forget to check under task manager to see what is using the most cpu resource,this may well identify your problem if not the psu and possible overheating.

Though if you follow Woodchip's suggestion,this may well find the problem also.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:09 27 Jan 07

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Lettervanman 10:22 27 Jan 07

This got it's self in a twist on my box the other day and would run CPU at 100% when playing some downloads. Had to do a system restore to put things right,don't know what caused it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…