//some 3rd party need geo

10-pin USB header on motherboard - 9-pin cable

CLONNEN 10:10 26 Sep 05

I have just bought an internal Card Reader device for my computer. The cable has 9 holes at the end of it.

The motherboard USB header has 10 pins on it. How do I get the two to connect?

Do I make an extra hole on the cable connector or do i yank out one of the pins on the motherboard?

Or is it something else entirely?

zemdarin 10:25 26 Sep 05

You wont need the ten pins. Normally there are 5 pins, one is blank. The ten you see are two USB connectors, shown as one plug. They are usually reverse. You should be able to connect making sure you use the same pins as the ones on the M/B which should be marked. So you want to make sure you plug them in right. Pins are marked
USB-5V USB D2- USB D2+ and GND which is ground. The numbers might differ like 3 or 4. So the other side will be opposite. As long as you make sure pins match you should be OK otherwise it could be a new M/B

woodchip 10:30 26 Sep 05

Red goes to pin one marked at one corner of the motherboard where the pins are, the extra pin is normal a earth pin not needed as there is normally two earth pins on the header next to each other. You should check out with your Motherboard Manual. before you try fitting as if you blow the onboard USB fuse for the Headers it is not renewable

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:30 26 Sep 05
  CLONNEN 10:37 26 Sep 05

I think it is pin 10 that I don't need which is bottom right in the diagram on the page pointed out above.

Do i use tweezers or something to pull it out of the motherboard?

I don't want to do it wrong as I assume it is not possible to replace the pins in the motherboard once they are removed. (Or are they?)

woodchip 10:40 26 Sep 05

On you head be it. If you start pulling the pins out

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:40 26 Sep 05

It is not possible to replace the pins in the motherboard once they are removed.

You are more likely to damage the board and make it inoperable.

Far better to return the card reader and get one that fits.

Stuartli 10:43 26 Sep 05

Is it a Gigabyte motherboard?

I seem to vaguely remember when installing my own Gigabyte board learning that the Gigabyte USB mobo connection requires a special lead and that they are not easy to acquire.

But then again my memory may be playing tricks...:-)

CLONNEN 10:44 26 Sep 05

Or is it pin 9?

Here is what the motherboard manual says :

1 VCC
2 GND
3 USBD3-
4 GND
5 USBD3+
6 USBD2+
7 GND
8 USBD2-
9 GND
10 VCC

CLONNEN 10:48 26 Sep 05

It is a Time computer the motherboard model is MS-6340 K7TM Pro

Is it worth trying to make a hole on the cable connector so that pin 10 doesn't stop the thing connecting?

CLONNEN 10:50 26 Sep 05

It is not like there is a wire on the other side so making a hole shouldn't make any difference to the connector should it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…