1) wireless broadband network

homdog harris 12:41 20 Jun 04

I am getting 512k broadband primarily for gaming.
The main computer with the broadband connection is downstairs but not that powerful, i want 2 be able 2 play on my room P.C. For this i am told i need a network. I do not want wires trailing al thru the house so i need want a wireless 1. But will this effect gaming quality at all? I'm a novice when it comes to P.Cs so i need help. I know where to find cheap wireless broadband routers but i would like some exact specs for what 2 get. Or any particuarly good or bad routers. Thanks alot,

Charence 13:31 20 Jun 04

I would recommend that you get 54g 802.11g wireless equipment, as data transfer is much quicker.

Netgear is in my opinion the best make for networking equipment but it can be very expensive.

Belkin is also a very good make and is also cheap to buy.

It will be better if you buy a WiFi Router, and 2 WiFi PCI cards for the computers as your internet connection will be unaffected if any main computer is switched off.

512kbps is about 1% of your 54Mbps, so quality is definately not affected. In fact it is better than wired Hubs/Switches/Routers of similar price because they normally are around 10Mbps.

Charence

Buccaneer47 13:33 20 Jun 04

Go to amazon.co.uk they have a linksys Broardband cable router and then either a wireless pci card or a usb wireless connector. Go for the 802.11G versions, they are slightly more expensive than the 802.11b but the range and data transfer are faster. the B is being replaced by the faster G.

byfordr 18:23 20 Jun 04

Netgear DG834G inc 1 wireless adapter £90 click here (not all places are doing the free adapter anymore) click here for all sorts of wireless deals.

HTH

R

computernerdiamnot 18:32 20 Jun 04

I suppose you mean online games. I use a netgear DG834G and have the router upstairs and play games downstairs, i have been playing Delta Force Black hawk down and get excellent signal.

The free updapter card if laptop or usb if not works excellent top knotch product.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now