1 screen 2 computers using only 1 keyboard and mouse?

graham + korina 08:17 14 May 13

Chronos the 2nd 08:27 14 May 13

KVM switch is what you need.

graham + korina 08:37 14 May 13

So it wont work in the setup i have described?

Chronos the 2nd 09:51 14 May 13

What do you mean?

A KVM is stands for Keyboard/Video/Mouse which means one keyboard one screen and one mouse.

You connect the keyboard/screen and mouse to the KVM then one set of cables from the KVM goo to one PC and the other set go to the other PC.

I used to use on of these,in fact I still have it somewhere gathering dust, I now have a better set up with wall-mounted monitors.

graham + korina 11:57 14 May 13

Hi Chronos Would a screen with a "built in" USB hub and two computer inputs not perform the same function. It would just be a matter of selecting which input is displayed on the screen and thus which computer is "linked" to the keyboard and mouse via the screen. The keyboard and mouse are plugged in to the screen.

Chronos the 2nd 12:50 14 May 13

Surely the simplest way to find out would be to try it.

But thinking about it I very much doubt if it would work that way. But worth a try, if I could be bothered I would try it myself as both my Dell monitors have an inbuilt USB hub

Woolwell 13:01 14 May 13

A monitor with a usb hub is connected to one pc's usb input. You would have to switch usb from one pc to another unless you used a usb switch.

It is likely to be cheaper to buy a second keyboard and mouse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced