"%1 Is Not A Valid Win 32 Application" HELP!!

anniel 23:18 27 Feb 05

I have tried most of today to find out about this problem with no joy.

It all began when I decided to get the new version of Firefox and ended up with both 1.0 and 1.0.1 on my PC.

They refused to go when I went to CP and to Add/Remove.

So I went into Safe Mode and got rid of them there.

Then I tried to install 1.0.1 again and tried not only on the Mozilla site but on Tiny Url as well.

After the download, when I went to set up I got the error message above inside an error box entitled: 7.Zip

I have looked for worms, defraggged, got rid of any vestiges of Firefox...in fact I have done everything I can think of...ran Spybot, AdAware etc. My PC also seems to be running much more slowly without Firefox, although I am on 2mb.

I am now very tired but wanted to get this on here before bed.

Hopefully, someone will have the solution when I get up.

hugh-265156 01:29 28 Feb 05

7zip is a zip utility as far as i know click here do you use this? may be the problem.

anniel 08:27 28 Feb 05

I have not thought I ever used it.....but I have a feeling that the problem is something to do with duplicated folders or some other technical problem.

Has anyone any other ideas.

Thanks for the tip..I am searching for it on my PC

Old Shep 10:53 28 Feb 05

have a look here click here;en-us;812486

Old Shep 10:55 28 Feb 05

sorry that didnt work click here

anniel 12:41 28 Feb 05

and it does not seem to apply to Windows XP. I have to confess I am also very nervous about mucking around in the registry as I am not the sharpest knife in the box.

I have deleted all my temporary internet files and done as much cleaning as I can.

Does this problem really mean I have to alter the registry??

Old Shep 13:40 28 Feb 05

Like you i never touch the registry myself but rely on this free program click here I have used it for quite a while now and always found it safe to delete anything it finds but of course it does not repair it.If you run this it may solve your problem if you have multiple entries or invalid entries. Fingers crossed good luck.

anniel 14:20 28 Feb 05

all the time, but I think this problem is more serious than that, unfortunatley. It may need the settings in the registry changed and I am not happy to do that.

Hasn't anyone ever experienced this problem out there???

anniel 18:28 28 Feb 05

The problem remains and I am going spare!

I tried a different programme, to make sure it was not just Firefox and this time the error was:

"Error 193. Unable to execute file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted"

There must be someone who knows the answer!!

I will never be able to install another programme ever again.

Old Shep 21:21 28 Feb 05

As you use XP cant you System Restore to before your problem. At least post this will bump you back to the top if youve tryed that.

anniel 22:49 28 Feb 05

But when I went to System restore, the only bold date was yesterday...I do not think you can go back further.

Can you????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…