1 mb

john1000 20:00 19 Nov 04

i have just upgraded from a 512 connection to a 1mb connection with wanadoo my prob is my icon in the taskbar still indicates a 512 connection but on a speed test i am on 1mb i have not changed modems or software so i presume this is why but hw can i make the connection icon read the correct speed i am running xp pro it is reading 800,0 kbps thanks

Pesala 20:17 19 Nov 04

Right click on the icon, properties, general, and change it there. If I've understood correctly, it is just a name for the shortcut that needs changing.

john1000 20:21 19 Nov 04

the icon i am on about is on the bottom right if i put my mouse over it it says freeserve broadband conection speed sent recieved right clicking does not give an option to properties

CurlyWhirly 20:48 19 Nov 04

click here

Run the broadband test as this WILL show you your true broadband speed.
Around 2 months ago I upgraded from 512kb to 1 mb and even though (for a while) it showed the wrong speed on my taskbar I was connected at the RIGHT speed.
It used to say 288/576 and now it says 288/1152 though even when it displayed 288/576 I was still connected at 1 mb.

john1000 22:08 19 Nov 04

yes mine has the same figures i know i am on 1mb but its a habbit of going over the icon and seeing 800.okpbs will this ever change or will i have to install a new bit of software etc

CurlyWhirly 00:34 20 Nov 04

I queried with AOL and they said that the icon stays the same until the 28 day cooling off period is over.
So in my case the wrong info was displayed for around a month but it is now showing the right speed.

Are you still within your 28 day cooling off period?
If so that is why the display is showing the wrong speed!

john1000 08:35 20 Nov 04

yes it has only been 4 days i will wait and see what happens thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…