1 Gb or should I upgrade to 1.5 Gb RAM?

CurlyWhirly 10:44 31 Oct 04

Hi. I have below a comment that the Forum Editor made recently:

"One reason why Microsoft has taken the decision to seriously revise the whole Longhorn development programme is that feedback from corporate users told the Redmond giant that Windows XP was going to be good for them until at least 2010. It is proving to be so reliable and so successful that the big network administrators want to stick with it, and there's no way they are going to face paying for a radical new operating system in a couple of years time."

I was going to upgrade to 64 bit PC next year but after reading the Forum Editor's comments (above) a Longhorn 64 bit operating system might be 5 years away so I want to improve my existing setup by increasing the RAM from 1 Gb to 1.5 Gb.
Would this be worthwhile?
I always thought that increasing RAM was beneficial up to a certain limit, have I reached this limit at 1 Gb?
If so it seems odd that Windows XP can work with up to 4 Gb of RAM!

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:36 31 Oct 04

Unless you are mad into gaming I doubt if you will notice any difference whatsoever. Even if you are into gaming I would be dubious about noticing any results. IIRC 64bit computing is only useful if you are running 40 computers off a network and is not really beneficial for home users. there are many posts on 64 bit computing floating round the net.

G

CurlyWhirly 11:40 31 Oct 04

I would not notice any difference if I added the extra RAM then?
I am into gaming by the way.
I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ processor and a Radeon X800 Pro (with 256 mb on-board RAM) graphics card.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:50 31 Oct 04

I was not too clear...you would notice the difference if you upgraded from say 256mb of RAM to 1Gb but upgrading from 1Gb to 1.5Gb might not be so noticeable. However as an extra 512mb of RAM is around £50 it might be worth a try.

A friend of mine has just gone from 1.5Gb to 2Gb and he swears that there is no difference in picture and office applications and has still to notice the difference in his games.

G

CurlyWhirly 11:53 31 Oct 04

Thanks. I will leave my RAM as it is then (for now anyway) as I don't want to add extra memory if it makes NO difference!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…