1 & 1 Name Server Changes

walesrob 10:17 25 Apr 04

Hope someone can help.

I've bought a co.uk domain with 1 & 1, (note that I've just bought only the domain, with no packages like starter or home) and I'm now trying to transfer name server settings to point at the free hosting I have with netfirms.

I have looked everywhere on 1&1's support section, and there is no facility available to change DNS. I tried emailing them, but no reply, and a quick search on google basically says that if you have only a domain name package with 1 & 1, they will not alllow DNS changes. I could try calling 1 & 1, but I should be allowed to freely change the DNS to point wherever I choose, as I have done in the past with 123-reg, for example.

Any help or info appreciated.

walesrob 10:26 25 Apr 04

and its here

click here

So its a case of suck it. Wont be using 1 & 1 again ever.

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:03 26 Apr 04

why you registered the name with 1&1 if you knew you wouldn't be hosting with them?
I thought it would have been better to register the domain with your intended host.

walesrob 00:24 26 Apr 04

To be honest, that is irrelevant, as you expect a webhosting company like them in common with others to allow DNS changes. In hindsight, I really should have done my homework before signing up with 1&1 and read that small print very carefully.

Oh well, you live and learn, but 1&1 could make the policy of barring DNS changes a bit more obvious, rather than hiding it deep within its support section - this is what annoys me more than anything else.

I'll tick this resolved for now, but if like me your want to register a domain name with 1&1 and then later want it transferred for hosting, DONT DO IT, use 123reg instead.

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:29 26 Apr 04

a bit unfair there. It is only the 1.99 domains they wont transfer - co.uk, me.uk, and org.uk.

They will transfer the rest - .com, .net, .org, .biz, and .info

Sir Radfordin 08:13 27 Apr 04

If you wanted to do something specific with the domain from 1&1 would it not have made sense that you could do that before you went ahead with the purchase?

1&1 will let you redirect any domain to any webspace you so wish which does the job for me.

walesrob 18:12 27 Apr 04

As I have found out today, 1&1 will allow you to change nameservers, but you have to cancel your contract with them first, and then they will allow a change of nameservers after, but the bottom line is cancel contract first.

Anyway problem solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…