!00% CPU Usage

dogbreath1 08:02 28 Sep 05

Win XP SP2 (build 2600). AMD Athlon 64 (1.8GHz). Board RS/RX480SB400 clocked at 200MHz. 512MB RAM.

Scanning with Avast 4.6 Home Edition was taking hours. Task Manager showed CPU utilisation permanently at 100% during this process. Scans with Ad-Aware (free), a-squared (free), Spybot S&D and Microsoft Antispyware Beta weren't nearly so slow but typically use 80%-100% of available resources much more than on similar (less well specced) machines I use. All scans showed clear.

HijackThis came up clean (at least according to the three on-line analysers that I've tried).

I had a concurrent issue with a Trust 2110 non-USB wired optical wheel mouse. The cursor would frequently jump into a corner. I checked that the correct driver was installed and it was. Also the lens was clean.

Anyway, I swapped the mouse for a similar (USB) model and both issues were resolved.

Has anyone an explanation for this experience?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…