Is £500 enough for a good gaming PC?

Lochshot 22:48 17 Dec 13

Basically, my parents have asked me what I want for Christmas. I've been given a choice, next-gen console or custom-build(with the help of my dad) gaming PC. I've been looking online but can't really find a direct answer anywhere so I thought I'd ask here, is £500 enough to get a gaming PC that will really be worth the money in comparison to the £100-200 cheaper next-gen console? I've been interested in PC gaming for a while now because of the overall cheapness of games and things like the modding community for certain games, and ofcourse the improved graphics, but I don't know if I'll really get to experience anything that's that great with a budget that wont allow me to get high-end gear. That's another question actually, is £500 considered high-end(I know a price can't be high-end, I mean the components you can buy with it)? If you couldn't be bothered reading it all, to put it simply, is there any point in getting a gaming PC? Just to add, I'm going to uni next year and need a decent PC for the large amounts of programming I intend on doing through my course, so that's another pull factor towards PC, but I'm still not sure. Thanks in advance.

Lochshot 22:57 17 Dec 13

Just to add, I can so slightly over £500, got a job recently so it could potentially go up to £600.

Lochshot 22:58 17 Dec 13

Just to add, I can so slightly over £500, got a job recently so it could potentially go up to £600.

mart7 13:43 20 Dec 13

What about monitor speakers mice keyboard? Is that inc in the budget

nickf 21:02 21 Dec 13

In a word , no . You can build a gaming rig for that kind of money , but performance would not be great . And as Mart says , you have to factor in the cost of peripherals . I will take a look , see what I can find .

Menzie 15:27 30 Dec 13

You can build a gaming PC for that money but wouldn't be able to run everything cranked to high at 1080p in all games at 60fps.

I myself am running a 660 and can get a playable rate in most games with some of the detail turned down. Most notably Physx.

A console is great for plug and play gaming but nothing beats PC sale prices for value.

I would build with a okay video card for now while saving for a high end model if turning everything to the max is of paramount importance. Then you could sell the old video card to offset some of the cost.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…