percentage of dos games or software that had borders in a widescreen resolution?

theDarkness 16:43 PM 14 Jan 13

I have noticed that with the majority of dos games I own, that with their original resolution set in a dosbox launcher usually shows the program with a widescreen perspective. Im using an up to date widescreen laptop, but it seems to be displayed correctly (most notably correct if showing circular shapes!), and nothing is cut or missing off screen.

Some old software that has the option to run in either windows or dos, doesnt always display correctly in dfend or dbgl if I set the resolution to their 'original' (or to my own resolution, whilst choosing to maintain the games original aspect ratio).

What I am wondering is if anyone has run old dos games on early computers (1980s+), and if games or software on (im assuming) a 4:3 monitor, often showed large borders, or if their perspective in dos was sometimes stretched, ie if there was no way around correcting it in dos? What was the most used dos screen aspect ratio, if there was one, and anyone knows? Thanks!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…