overclocking

jimbojetset69 19:26 PM 08 May 12

can some one tell me what does over clocking do ,to some one who does not over clock does the person who overclocks has a upper hand i dont like the cheat word if it means a advantage to some one using exact same set up as a none over clocker it baffle me as i am a large noob lol

frybluff 20:11 PM 10 May 12

Overclocking is, basically, increasing the clock speed, of a processor, to improve performance. It will have down sides, in terms of heat production, and reliability.

It's certainly not cheating, any more than tuning up your car's engine, if you want to take it racing. Just beware, in both cases, you will probably invalidate any warranty.

jimbojetset69 21:19 PM 10 May 12

well frybluff thank you for taking your time to reply back to me so i think there is no point in me asking someone to over clock my new gear then so thank you for clearing that up for me cheers

frybluff 21:41 PM 10 May 12

Personally, I wouldn't, particularly with new kit, from a "mainstream" manufacturer, because of the potential warranty issue. However, for a lot of ardent gamers, it's the first thing they WOULD do. It's a personal choice.

manoj9585 11:16 AM 07 Jul 12

Overclocking is the process of making a computer or component operate faster than the specified clock frequency by the manufacturer by modifying system parameters.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get $800 of free online Nuke and VRay rendering from Google Zync

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone