Need help with Comp upgrade

RobOnline 14:30 23 Mar 10

Hi, a lot of the games I play can run ok but sometimes my fps goes low when there is a lot going on or flashy spell effects etc. So I'm looking to upgrade my computer but I'm not sure what I should improve.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 1792MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7050 PV / NVIDIA nForce 630a

Display Memory: 512.0 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

mrwoowoo 19:46 23 Mar 10

Your graphics card is very poor indeed for modern games.
If you only upgrade that, it will give a big improvement. Your ram is sufficient, although most games recomend 2 GB to run now days.
So just do the graphics card for now.

Devil Fish 23:38 23 Mar 10

dual core processor 2.4 and 2gig ram you will get away with

mrwoowoo is right i would take another look at your graphics selection in my opinion if i were building a machine now i would be looking at the 8800 series nvidia as a bare minimum to get reaonable quality games graphics

gengiscant 08:27 24 Mar 10

Remember that if you upgrade your graphics card it might be necessary to upgrade your power supply.

RobOnline 09:36 24 Mar 10

Ok I'm planning to get this graphics card:

click here

I opened up my computer and my power supply was:

AC Input:230VAC 10A 50-60Hz 350W

I'm guessing I should get a much better one, can I get some advice on what I should get?

Thankyou for your help so far. :)

gengiscant 14:05 24 Mar 10

Your power supply should be fine.

mrwoowoo 14:42 24 Mar 10

I would pay an extra tenner and get this click here
If you read the reviews they say it plays Modern Warfare 2 quite easily. And your PSU will still be ok with this card.
It does depend what games you want to play though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…