Midrange Gaming PC help?

Khorner17 14:00 PM 23 Jun 13

Hi there, I'm looking for some assistance in choosing how best to upgrade my gaming experience. I'm currently sitting on a 24 inch 1080p samsung monitor and beside it a 19 inch that I use for web browsing and video playback, I never use it in games.

My specs are:

XFX Radeon 6870 1gb GPU

8150 Bulldoxer 3.6ghz 8 core CPU.

Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz x2 RAM.

Asus M5A78L/USB3 Motherboard.

PSU- a CIT 750 watt, I intend to upgrade this as soon as possible, people tell me I should avoid cheap brands, so I'm getting a corsair.

I have £250 to spend on upgrading this system, what do you guys think? I'm looking for any suggestion, be it new screen or graphics card, but mostly my intentions are gaming. I want something that is going to impact my framerate or visuals substantially.

Forum Editor 07:16 AM 24 Jun 13

Transferred to the Games forum from Tech Helproom.

Chronos the 2nd 08:24 AM 24 Jun 13

Good idea on the PSU as the CIT is absolute rubbish.You do not say what operating system you are using.

Monitor is fine and as you have just £250 to spend I think we are looking at a GPU upgrade.

What sort of games are you looking to play as this can have a bearing on what GPU to suggest.

Khorner17 18:17 PM 26 Jun 13

Running windows 7 atm, windows 8 caused some problems so I ended up going back.

I've clocked onto an OCZ 500watt PSU, seems like a reliable brand and there's positive reviews. I tend to play the most intense games on the market, mostly shooters, simulators or MMO's. ATI 7950 looks like a decent card.

Chronos the 2nd 18:36 PM 26 Jun 13

The 7950 would have been my suggestion although there is nothing wrong with your choice of PSU can I suggest perhaps going for 600-650W as that will a bit of headroom and your PSU will need two 6 pin connections for the HD7950 GPU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…