Games not recognising graphics.

frybluff 08:12 AM 27 Apr 12

Forgive me for asking a "beginner's" question.

If, on loading a game, it is unable to recognise the presence of discreet graphics (I presume due to Optimus), is there a way to "tell" it there is one?

I have nVidia GT555M, and Windows 7 HP.

KRONOS the First 11:46 AM 27 Apr 12

You do not have a discreet graphics card,you have an integrated graphics card.An integrated video card is "integrated" into the motherboard. That means the motherboard has a video card built in. A "discrete" video card means that you have a separate video card, one that typically plugs in to one of the expansion slots.

I assume you have a laptop with this GPU? Nvidia GT 555 M

frybluff 13:46 PM 27 Apr 12

That is correct, in Dell XPS.

KRONOS the First 15:21 PM 27 Apr 12

Nothing more to be said then I have answered your question,I believe.

frybluff 17:16 PM 27 Apr 12

Apologies for incorrect terminology. I should have said "dedicated" rather than "discreet".

The problem I have is that, when I try to load an "old" game, I get a message saying that my "HD3000 graphics is inadequate to play the game". I assumed that this is because "optimus" only causes the nVidia graphics to "kick in", when it's actually needed. The game possibly pre-dates "optimus", and therefore doesn't recognise it.

What I'm looking for, is a way to either tell the game I do have something better than HD3000, or a way to tell the nVidia card to always activate for the game.

lotvic 11:44 AM 19 May 12

me again :) have a look at the last post in techrepublic.com not saying that will work for you, but is a start.

X7-250 17:32 PM 19 May 12

looks like a common problem, with games wanting to use the graphics integrated into the CPU, rather than the motherboard/card.

have a look at the reply at 11-05-2011, 10:54 AM http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2219935&page=3 maybe you can follow the advice but add the exe for your 'old' game

thegatekeeper 18:48 PM 20 Jun 12

Thanks for the link X7-250, that helped me fix an old computer I had lyring around. It can now play games!

Clive Bokley @ Diablo 3

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification rumours: We're just hours away from the OnePlus 2 l2…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Motoman robots: from killing The Terminator to samurai swordmanship

Why Apple's being criticised for everything, even the good things