FPS starts high and then gets lower over 1 minute

Gamezone 15:11 18 Aug 13

Hi,

So I've been playing SWTOR a lot recently I run it maxed out at 50+ FPS. Today I turned my PC on and as usual it was at 60FPS. Within a minute, my FPS degraded until it hit around 12-15FPS, and then it remained at that.

I restarted my PC, and the same thing happened. I've tried multiple games, and every game I play does the same thing. They all start off at high FPS, and then go really low.

I've never ever had this issue before, and in the past I've ran all these games fine... they were fine yesterday and this problem has only just started happening and it's meaning I can't play any games. I've felt my case when in a a game and all of it is cool, so the temps should be fine, they've never been an issue anyway.

My drivers are also updated.

Help please!

SPECS:

• GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6790
  • CPU: AMD Bulldozer FX-6100
  • PSU: Corsair CX750W
  • MOBO: Gigabyte M68MT-S2 revision 3.1 (FB)
  • RAM: 8GB RAM
  Mr Mistoffelees 16:10 18 Aug 13

" I've felt my case when in a a game and all of it is cool, so the temps should be fine, they've never been an issue anyway."

It does, however, look, like an overheating issue. I suggest you give everything a good clean, paying special attention to the CPU and graphics card heatsinks and fans.

Gamezone 12:41 19 Aug 13

Well I discovered the issue, after running SensorsView here are the temperatures my GPU has:

IDLE: 60-70 degrees celsius IN-GAME: 95-104 degrees, which is definitely not where it should be.

It appears my graphics card is overheating which is causing my lag issues, however I took it out yesterday and made sure the fan was correctly connected and also cleared any dust which could be causing issues.

When I first opened my case after posting this issue yesterday, I noticed that my graphics card fan wasn't actually spinning and I had to spin it manual for it to start up again. :s

Any ideas of what I could do?

Chronos the 2nd 13:51 19 Aug 13

If the fan is not spinning and the small cable from the fan to the GPU is connected then you have a faulty fan.

If the card is still within it's warranty period then return it. If not it is possible to replace the fan. Or you can replace it with what is called an after-market cooler, something like this. ARCTIC Accelero.

Gamezone 18:09 19 Aug 13

Okay, I'll probably buy this fan and hopefully my issue gets fixed click here

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…