FPS

acceptmyname 10:05 AM 13 Dec 08

I am a noob and wanted to know if my Sound card could effect my FPS.

The Brigadier 15:35 PM 13 Dec 08

Doubt it?
Whats your sound card?

IClaudio 16:55 PM 13 Dec 08

Yes, your sound card can indeed affect your fps (I assume you mean Frames Per Second, rather than First Person Shooter) - there's always been issues with soundcard drivers, for example, and if you've selected High Quality audio in the game's Settings, your rig may not be able to cope.

IClaudio 16:56 PM 13 Dec 08

oh, OK...

acceptmyname 19:14 PM 13 Dec 08

thanks for anwsering,

my issue is i play COD4 and have my frames per secondshowing in the top right corner and it runs at around 90 - 200 but when there is a lot of sound (like a airstrike or lots of people shooting in the same area) myy fps can sometimes drop to around 15 fps, so this is why i was thinking it is my sound card.

my sound at the moment is just what i bought the pc with.

Realtek hd audio
?GFX card - nvidia GT8600

mrwoowoo 00:51 AM 14 Dec 08

Don't think it's your sound card.
It could cause crashes but not alter the FPS.
The framerate dropping to around 15 because there is a lot of on screen action/visuals at the times you mention which at high settings the 8600gt will struggle with.Obviously more action means more sound but that's a red herring.
Lower the game settings a bit and certainly turn off AA if you have it on.
I had the 8600gt and i played it at med/high with no AA and it was fairly smooth,dropping to around 25FPS if i remember right.

acceptmyname 13:23 PM 14 Dec 08

As mentioned in my 1st post I am noob so what is AA.

Thanks to all for helping me out

acceptmyname 13:27 PM 14 Dec 08

do you think if i add another GFX card it would solve the problem and if i do would i have to add the GFX card as I have now.

Also would some more memory help, I have 1gb now but was thinking of upgrading to 2gb.

citadel 13:42 PM 14 Dec 08

definitly more memory fisrt, then a ati 4850 for a card.

acceptmyname 13:52 PM 14 Dec 08

LOL i would love to spend that much on a GFX card but I have a wedding coming up so I was looking for something a little bit in the £50-£70 price range nad then just adding it along side my GT8600.

acceptmyname 14:35 PM 14 Dec 08

To be honest I have just played COD4 with my settings down to the lowest and it made it worse my FPS was down to 50-90 constant.

I will be ordering some new memory asap but do you guys think a new GFX card in my price range is also a good idea.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to choose a photographer

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone