Custom Built Gaming Rig

Kevscar1 09:39 23 Nov 13

What company would you recommend and why

retep888™ 16:47 23 Nov 13

<<What company would you recommend>> Used to be Cougar_Extreme now Chillblast .

<<and why>> Well, I like the simple & straight forward web design of Chillblast & top brand hardwares plus good PC cases chosen & can't beat the price.

Gryt Gunnar 16:00 25 Nov 13

Do not buy Chillblast, its horribly overpriced.

Will you assemble it yourself or have someone build it for you?

Post edited to remove unacceptable language. Forum Editor

nickf 12:20 26 Nov 13

for me , Scan , reason , excellent customer service , and great build quality . prices pretty fair too ( I have a Scan built system )

Kevscar1 18:05 26 Nov 13

Went with CyberpowerPC Good spec reasonable price and the only one that doesn't charge for 2 year warrenty. £19 for one year retruns to base. £1722.72
*BASE_PRICE: [+671] BLUETOOTH: None CAPTURECARD: None CAS: Corsair Carbide 300R Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ front USB 3.0 CASUPGRADE: NONE CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE. (BLACK Colour) CD2: NONE COOL: NONE CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4820K Quad-Core 3.70 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 Overclockable XXX CS_FAN: Default Case Fan DONGLES: NONE EXPAN: USB 3.0 Expansion PCI-E card, provides extra four USB 3 [+14] FA_HDD: None FAN: Xigmatek Prime CPU Fan with 4 direct heatpipes w/ 140mm PWM fan and rubber fan clip, ultra quiet with high performance Overclockable XXX [+1] FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer [+5] (BLACK Colour) FREEBIE_VC1: FREE Batman Arkham Origins Coupon [+0] GLASS3D: NONE HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive) HDD2: NONE HOMEINSTALL: NONE IEEE_CARD: NONE INSURANCE: NONE KEYBOARD: (Keyboard & Mouse Combo) Logitech Cordless MK710 Desktop Keyboard & Mouse [+57] MEMORY: 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3/1600mhz Quad Channel Memory [+234] (Kingston HyperX Blu w/Heat Spreader) MONITOR: NONE MONITOR2: NONE MONITOR3: NONE MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE X79-UP4 Intel X79 Chipset, 4-Way SLI / Crossfire supported, 4 Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 8 RAM slots, Ultra Durable 5, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 4 Gen3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1 & 1 PCI Overclockable XXX MOUSE: NONE NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT -- As standard on all PCs OS: Microsoft® Windows 8.1 (64-bit Edition) [+74] OVERCLOCK: S&S Overclocking (CPU Safe and Stable overclock: guaranteed min. 10%, max. 20%.) [+39] POWERSUPPLY: 750 Watts Power Supplies [+21] (Corsair 750 Watts CX750 Gaming Power Supply, 80+) RUSH: NONE SERVERUNIT: NONE SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX 5.1 PCI-Express Sound Card [+23] SPEAKERS: NONE TABLET: None TEMP: NONE TVRC: NONE UPS: None USB1: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports [+0] VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+322] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) VIDEO2: None, or On-Board Integrated Graphics VIDEO3: None, or On-Board Integrated Graphics WARRANTY: DESKTOP SILVER WARRANTY: 3 Year Labour, 2 Year Parts, 1 Year Collect and Return plus Life-Time Technical Support [+19] WNC: NONE XWNA: NONE

retep888™ 11:38 27 Nov 13

Good points from Lazarus The 2nd.

I won't say any prebuilt system is overpriced or not, at the end of the day a business has to make a profit however there are a few points I'd like to make:

Based on your £1700ish budget I'd compare it against a £1549 gaming system from Chillblast (Configurable too)

(1).You posted on the Game forum I suppose you're a gamer, the socket 2011 CPU & Motherboard you chose won't help you run games faster, the Chillblast system uses an i5 Haswell which is absolutely fine for the job.

(2).Game playing hardly uses more than 8GB Ram so you've 24GB Ram sitting there doing nothing, generally I'd suggest 16GB for both work & play.

(3).Avoid putting extra cooling fan on your case side panel, any fan on the perspex window will hum & making annoying noise, more rigid construction like metal reinforcement is preferable.

(4).The Chillblast system uses water-cooling together with over clocking but if you don't like the idea then omit the over clocking & downgrade to a Noctua NH-D14 Ultimate Performance Quiet CPU Cooler which is brilliant & a rebate too.

(5).The Chillblast uses GTX780Ti (the king of gx card atm) vs your system's GTX780.

(6).Interesting thing is the Chillblast has a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO Solid State Drive for system Drive(which will make a huge difference to the overall PC response performance) plus a 2TB mechanical HDD vs your system's 1TB HDD.

(7).There's a Blu-Ray ROM / DVD-RW Combi Drive in the Chillblast while your system has a standard DVD-RW.

(8).2 Year Standard Collect and Return Warranty is included so not sure why you said the only one that doesn't charge for 2 year warrenty.

(9).Only an optional sound card & wireless keyboard/mouse were not included.

(10).Last but not least,you didn't say what monitor or native resolution you'll be playing games at but anything less than 2560x1440, the system will be an overkill.

Finally as Lazarus The 2nd said, Enjoy.

Kevscar1 11:10 28 Nov 13

I discussed liquid cooling but was told they do have to be topped up from time to time, Now with only the use of one hand and thats a bit shaky the idea of trying to pour water into a computer didn't really seem good. The memory is because from time to time I do some video editing and games will use more and more RAM. If you look at the one in your configurable link then get it as close to my specs as you can you will see that the price is more than mine estra £117.25 and it's still inferior. Mines an i7-4820k theres i7-4770K They can only give USB 2 expansion card mine is USB 3. The only Logitach wireless keyboard they do is a 3 button at £41 mine is a 5 at £51 or £57 with a RRP of £89, as for harddrive already have two external so 1tb is enough and having an SSD or not doesn't worry me I deliberatly decided I didn't want bluray and their bottom motherboard is less than mine

Mr Mistoffelees 11:53 28 Nov 13

"4).The Chillblast system uses water-cooling together with over clocking but if you don't like the idea then omit the over clocking & downgrade to a Noctua NH-D14 Ultimate Performance Quiet CPU Cooler which is brilliant & a rebate too."

There is no reason not to over-clock just because you use air-cooling. I have a Core i5 3570K @4.4GHz, with an Arctic Cooling freezer 13 Pro in a Zalman Z9 case with some additional Sharkoon quiet fans. Has been running nicely for over a year now with no heat or stability issues, even during the hottest of last Summer's weather.

retep888™ 13:50 28 Nov 13

<<I discussed liquid cooling but was told they do have to be topped up from time to time>> True but not as often as you think it might be if it's correctly set up & maintained.

<<Now with only the use of one hand and thats a bit shaky the idea of trying to pour water into a computer didn't really seem good>> Sorry I will not know people's personal circumstances therefore I only give general advices, this is why I stated that if you don't like the idea of watercooling/overclocking, have it deselected.

<<The memory is because from time to time I do some video editing and games will use more and more RAM>> It still won't use more than 16GB Ram to be honest, we use professional 3D animation modelling/rendering programmes & even that doesn't use up all the 16GB Ram available.

<<then get it as close to my specs........the price is more than mine estra £117.25>> Of course it will be more than yours ,the level of quality/quantity of hardwares in the Chillblast is different from your Cyberpower one.

<<and it's still inferior. Mines an i7-4820k theres i7-4770K>> Please don't just look at the numbers alone, the CPUs are two different architectures. i7 4770K is top of the range IvyBridge costs a bit more but more power efficient ,better work/game compromise while the i7 4820K is near bottom line of socket 2011 costs less,uses more power.

<<They can only give USB 2 expansion card mine is USB 3>> I don't know why you'd want a USB3 pci expansion card but on the Chillblast standard Gigabyte board there are 6 USB3 ports (4 at the back panel & 2 on the mobo internal header for PC case front panel USB3 connections ) plus 8 more USB2 ports.

<<The only Logitach wireless keyboard they do is a 3 button at £41 mine is a 5 at £51 or £57 with a RRP of £89>> This is not a big deal, if you can't find it there you can always get it from somewhere else e.g. Amazon for £65?

<<as for harddrive already have two external so 1tb is enough and having an SSD or not doesn't worry me I deliberatly decided I didn't want bluray and their bottom motherboard is less than mine>> I wouldn't mind if they come as a standard in a system which costs less, performs better, more value for money, better warranty (2 year collect & return) while you'll have to pay £19 for extra year collect & return.(only first year collect & return)

Well, you asked for opinions/recommendations ,we gave advices/opinions/recommendations.

retep888™ 14:11 28 Nov 13

Mr Mistoffelees Quoted: <<There is no reason not to over-clock just because you use air-cooling>>

Now you've jumped to conclusion too quick, of course there is no reason not to over-clock just because you use air-cooling.

If you read the thread thoroughly before you posted then you'd understand why I said if you don't like the idea then omit the over clocking & downgrade to a Noctua NH-D14 Ultimate Performance Quiet CPU Cooler.

(1).This is general advice to people who don't like overclocking/fiddling with their PCs.

(2).If you've read my configurable too Chillblast link then you'd know besides choosing a CPU with the non overclocking option, one has to choose a CPU cooler instead of the water-cooling unit. (no point having it if one doesn't want overclocking)

retep888™ 14:20 28 Nov 13

Edit: <<and it's still inferior. Mines an i7-4820k theres i7-4770K>> Please don't just look at the numbers alone, the CPUs are two different architectures. i7 4770K is top of the range IvyBridge costs a bit more but more power efficient ,better work/game compromise while the i7 4820K is near bottom line of socket 2011 costs less,uses more power.

<< i7 4770K is top of the range IvyBridge >> should be read as i7 4770K is top of the range Haswell >>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009