Battlefield 1942

Alf58 00:45 AM 27 Aug 10

I know this is an old game but I am very attached to it. I am experiencing a severe problem. After months of untroubled online play, tonight the game has stopped functioning on line. All seems normal regarding loading screens etc but as soon as I click "internet" everything freezes and I have to use Control Alt Delete to get the computer running again. The game is fine if I dont try to play on line.I am using Win XP Professional. My internet connection is sound with a regular speed of 5.5 mbts and a goood ping rate.

Anyone got any ideas?

mrwoowoo 01:50 AM 27 Aug 10

Try disabling Punkbuster as this sometimes works.
A simple system restore may help if not.

gengiscant 08:32 AM 27 Aug 10

Reinstall the game is another possibility.

Alf58 10:20 AM 27 Aug 10

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Cant get the internet menu screen to work to disable Punk Buster. There was a Java Update a couple of days ago. I wonder if that could have affected it?

mrwoowoo 01:45 AM 28 Aug 10

Java updates can mess up. A system restore to before the update should sort it.

Alf58 12:34 PM 30 Aug 10

Well still getting nowhere. I have installed latest patch, enabled various ports in Win Xp Firewall, system restored to two weeks ago (when I know the game played ok on line)but still no joy. EA support just give a standard reply to connection problems. I'm reaching the point where I'm becoming reonciled to never playing online again.

harps1h 19:42 PM 01 Sep 10

unistall and reinstall as suggested earlier in the thread.

Alf58 20:10 PM 01 Sep 10

The issue is now resolved. It was an issue with the central server which had been upgraded but not properly configured. Nothing to do with me or my machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

#AdventSauceJoyMince - generate a gratuitous Christmas tweet for #GivingTuesday charity

New MacBook Air release date, specs and rumours: 11in MacBook Air to be discontinued