WMP 10 can't rip CD from Limited User accounts

alag 10:25 18 Nov 05

I have Windows Media Player 10 running on Windows XP with 1 Admin User and 3 Limited Users. I can play and rip from Admin, but in the Limited accounts I can only play. When I try to rip from CD I get this error:

"Windows Media Player encountered an error when reading the CD-ROM drive in digital mode. You can try to use digital mode again, or you can switch the Player to analog mode"

I then continue and change the CD drive properties to Analog but it still does not work.

If I change the Limited accounts to become full Admin then the problem goes away.

I know it's not a drive problem because the Limited users can rip successfully using RealPlayer.

Also, WMP 10 will rip from the DVD player, it's just the CD-ROM it has trouble with.

Has anyone encountered this problem and found a fix?

Many thanks,
Adrian

Forum Editor 14:46 18 Nov 05

in WMP, but have you done the same thing in Device manager?

Try it, and see if it works for your user accounts.

alag 22:05 18 Nov 05

Thanks for the tip. I set Device Manager to Analogue and the WMP Device to Analogue playback. Now it does rip - but VERY slowly, BUT I can't hear anything during normal playback from CD.

If I set the Limited Account to be an Administrator then both Digital playback and ripping work. The problem only occurs with a Limited Account.

Adrian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…