Wireless keyboards

Styxx 01:48 AM 22 Jul 10

About six weeks ago I bought a new wireless keyboard, the Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000. On paper this has everything I want in a keyboard. It's a full sized keyboard with soft touch, low profile keys, it has a number pad (which isn't bunched up with the main keys), it has shortcut keys for media player, calculator and others, and it even has some customisable keys, which was a nice bonus. Oh, and of course it's wireless. Trouble is, it doesn't work. I have my PC on the floor to the right of my desk, with the wireless dongle in the back of it. The keyboard can't be more than 3 feet in a straight line from the dongle, but it cuts out on a regular basis and characters refuse to register. Does anyone know of a decent wireless keyboard at a sensible price that has a similar set of features? I don't need customisable keys, but they are a nice touch. I'm open to an ergonomic keyboard, but a straight one is just fine to be honest.

Styxx 01:49 AM 22 Jul 10

Oh, and of course, it should be able to manage wireless connection through a table.

wiz-king 07:20 AM 22 Jul 10

I have bad news and good news. I have a HP wireless keyboard and mouse and they also have a short range but with a short cable to move the receiver into line of sight both now work extremely well. I get about a months use to a set of keyboard batteries and change the mouse ones about once a week - I use rechargeables for both.

^wave^ 08:47 AM 22 Jul 10

i use a logitech wireless kbrd and mouse the kbrd is great on batteries but i do have to change the mouse ones evry 3-4 weeks cost £19

Styxx 14:13 PM 22 Jul 10

Okay, thanks guys. So are you saying most wireless devices need line-of-sight to receiver to work properly? I've only had one before, and it was similar to yours, wiz-king, where the receiver was on a cable so it could be put on the desk. May have to get a USB extension to put this one on in that case.

rdave13 16:41 PM 22 Jul 10

I bought the logitech ex100 keyboard and quite happy with it. Batteries seem to last longer than the reviews state. Tried a test and the keyboard still works 3 meters away from the receiver. As the receiver in on top of the desk I tried typing with keyboard on the floor (desk inbetween) and still works.
click here
click here

Styxx 19:56 PM 22 Jul 10

Great, thanks very much! :)

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get your photos turned into illos by some of the world’s best artists

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites